8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 4:24 PM by Joe Weinstein-Oracle

DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout

user5138197

I have a java Application written several years ago. The original developer was drawn and quartered long before I got here. I am under the directive to move the application from one DMZ to another. In the new DMZ it appears that any connections through the firewall that stay idle for more then x minutes are summarily closed. This has put a damper on my db connection pool and when the app gets around to trying to use a connection it blows up. To resolve this (besides trying to teach the firewall guys that their firewall really IS shutting idle ports which they firmly deny) I am attempting to to reconfigure the Connection Pool to not keep ANY idle connections that have been idle for more then 5 minutes. However I'm a windows geek in a penguins world and drowning fast. My Currect DBConfig looks something like.

#PROD ORACLE APPS

ora_dburl=jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.1.2.3:1525:PROD

ora_user=someencryptedstring

ora_password=someotherencryptedstring

ora_driver=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

ora_total=3

ora_min=1

ora_checkquery=select SYSDATE from dual

I assume its something like.

#PROD ORACLE APPS

ora_dburl=jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.1.2.3:1525:PROD

ora_user=someencryptedstring

ora_password=someotherencryptedstring

ora_driver=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

ora_total=3

ora_min=0

ora_SomethingThatSpecifiesMaxIdleTime=300

ora_checkquery=select SYSDATE from dual

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
          Joe Weinstein-Oracle

Who is the developer/vendor for your connection pool? Their documentation

should be clear on how to configure to synchronously and asynchronously

test idle connections (which keeps them looking busy so they are not killed)

and/or replacing dead old connections... It's not a driver-level behavior you want.

• 2. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
            user5138197

Joe,

Wish I knew wish I had such documentation but then I wouldnt be on this forum hoping someone might recognize it and help.

• 3. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
              Joe Weinstein-Oracle

If you alter the config data to put in an incorrect URL, can you get a full stacktrace of the error

when the code tries to make a connection? That stacktrace will include the names of some

of the pool classes. That may help us identify what products you're using...

• 4. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
                user5138197

It's a shared connection string so If I break it for one I'd break it for several apps. This though is the stack trace that has prompted me to attempt to timeout the connections in my pool hopefully it will give you the specifics your looking for?

08/08/2013 15:06:00 EDT, cs.shared.security.OSSecurity[resetEmail]  **DEBUG: sSQL ={Some sql I removed}

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection reset

at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:189)

at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:231)

at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:345)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.open(OracleStatement.java:717)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:2605)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeUpdate(OraclePreparedStatement.java:457)

at cs.shared.security.OSSecurity.resetPassword(OSSecurity.java:1036)

at actions.ForgetPasswordAction.perform(ForgetPasswordAction.java:18)

at ActionServlet.service(ActionServlet.java:30)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)

at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

• 5. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
                  Joe Weinstein-Oracle

There seems to be no connection pooling in use at all. And if the firewall kills a connection you

haven't used for some time, you will get an exception like this.

• 6. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
                    user5138197

Joe,

And?

So?

Thus?

Therefore?

I feel like there should have been more to that "answer" then to point out that the exception you asked for is an exception and that the pooling isn't configured. Isn't that all kinda covered already by the fact that I was here looking for help with an error I had because the idle timeout wasn't set.

Skip it 3 days and 3 replies in, your the only one that seems interested in trying to help but all we've done so far is to reestablish in different words what I already know without even a glimmer of what I need to do to get the idle timeout set. I'm just going to write a keep alive app and move on thanks for the attempts anyway.

• 7. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
                      Joe Weinstein-Oracle

Well, I am trying to help you, but was confused because you'd mentioned/suspected that

your db connection pool had a problem. The stack trace seems to imply there is no db

connection pool involved.. So, clearing that up, am I right that your problem is that you

make a JDBC connection, and after some time of non-use of that connection, a firewall

will kill it out from under you. You want to stop that happening. 'Idle timeout' is not going

to help. That is typically a pool property that kills or retracts connections from the application

if the application doesn't use them for a long time. You instead want a keepalive, right?

• 8. Re: DBConfig.Properties Setting Idle Connection Timeout
                        Joe Weinstein-Oracle

If you can get you code to add this property value to your connection request to the driver,

this may help:

oracle.net.keepAlive=true