5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2013 2:40 PM by Tam_11 RSS

intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3

Tam_11

We implemented R12 in December 2011 nearly two years ago and as part of that implementation we started producing cheque documents using a custom.rtf template.  We have successfully generated thousands of cheques since go-live using 2 different templates.  For the most part these work flawlessly however on 2 separate occasions we have had issues with font.  In one instance, a font that typically displays in courier new 5 pt on our pdf document suddenly rendered as arial 10.  In another situation a micro line render in courier font.   Now  a similar problem has shown up in our test region.  These problems have happened with 3 different templates in 2 different regions and can't be recreated.  The template works fine, renders incorrectly and then works fine with no intervention.   Has anyone seen anything like this before?

• 1. Re: intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3
          Tam_11

Hi All,

Micr font issue described above has happened again in our production region.  Anyone have any thoughts on troubleshooting something like this?

Thanks for reading!

Tam

• 2. Re: intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3
            Hilton

Silly question but maybe speak with the DBA and check if any changes have been made in the backend. Directory changes for the fonts. Maybe check the setup in BI Publisher and validate that the fonts are there. If it happens only imtermitently and not on a reproducable way it may be like wandering in the dark. From what I understand though the report is fine when developing with Desktop but when uploaded to the server it gives problems?

• 3. Re: intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3
              Tam_11

Thanks for the reply.  We are definitely wandering in the dark!    The template is on the server in our production region and it almost always works.  Font problem only showed up 3 times in the last 11 months (no issues the other 2000+ times).   When the problem shows up, it merges fine for one payment run, then the next run gives the bad font and then next run merges fine again.  This can happen within a 1 - 2 hour timeframe.

I have DBAs looking for connection issues or maintenance on the server during the window in which the error happened, but nothing so far.  We have no way to reproduce.

The one thing I have left to check is what the deafult font is...guessing there is a config file somewhere...?

• 4. Re: intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3
                Hilton

It could also be a space issue. That at the time the temporary folder was too large or something along those lines. Or the server was really overloaded and the APp Tier could not connect for a split second. Sorry if I can't be of more help.

• 5. Re: intermittent font issues in ebs bi publisher 5.6.3
                  Tam_11

Thanks, Hilton. I appreciate your response.

We have had space issues before so that is a valid point; however, these jobs are running in the middle of the night when the load on the server/managers/opp/temporary directory is minimal.  I created another thread asking about rules for font/substitution/defaults in BI Publisher so am checking that route now.