2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 10:28 AM by WVanSluys RSS

Use Date Group (Month) in a Results Filter

Hyperion IR v 9

I want to filter my results set by the Month Date Group.  I want Displayed in the column filter Jan, Feb, Mar....and so on.  However, when I drag that field to the filter and ask to "show values" it shows my actual dates, not the three character month value.  This monthly filter is essential for what I'm doing.  I tried creating a computed column off the month date group and set the datatype to text. All that did was retain the original date value again.  Is there a way around this?

How can I do this?

• 1. Re: Use Date Group (Month) in a Results Filter

I've said it before in these forums:  To the maximum extent possible, avoid the built-in functions in computed items in Results.

I've contacted Oracle about your specific deficiency (Month(column_name) returning a date rather than a month).  They say it's working as designed -- something about sorting properly.

Use JavaScript.  Here's a definition for your computed item:

["Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"][date_column.getMonth()]

• 2. Re: Use Date Group (Month) in a Results Filter

To add to what DougP said, I often create my own date parts via SQL, JavaScript or the ToChar functions within the Results Computed Column editor.