6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 4:21 AM by Christian Berg RSS

2 RPD in single Instance

Hi

We are using OBIEE11.1.1.6.6 in Linux box.

Could you please let us know How to configure 2 rpd file in single instance.

Both RPD should be active state.

I should able to connect any time both RPD in online mode.

Thanks

Gram

• 1. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance
          Christian Berg

2 RPD = 2 OBIS necessary as one Orace BI server can only run one RPD at any given time.

• 2. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance

Could you pls let me know how many weblogic server need.Is it possible 1 console 1 em 2 bi server and 2 presentation server.

• 3. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance
              Christian Berg

You can extend your domain by scaling it out, so you have a new instance (managed server) with its own OBIS + OBIPS.

http://www.rittmanmead.com/2010/07/obiee-11gr1-scaleout-clustering-and-high-availability/

• 4. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance
                Sasi  Nagireddy

I have set up 2 different RPDs in OBI 11g.

My configuration is:

* 1 BI server

* 2 Presentation Servers

* 2 Web applications, that point to the different presentation servers.

Below the steps i have followed.

1.   I have set up the 2 repositories (RPD files) in the NQSConfig.ini, as it used to be.
                2.   Then the ODBC connection to comunicate the new repository with the presentation server, with the driver that is setup during OBI 11g installation.
                3. On the other hand, I do a vertical scale out of the Presentation server, PS, so I say I want two Presentation servers in the Enterprise Manager -> Business Intelligence -> coreapplication -> Capacity Management -> Scalability.
                4. Then I have other Presentation server runnning and listening on the port 9702 (instead of the normal 9710), the port number taken during scaling can vary for you.

This creates a duplication (copy) of directories for the other PS.

5.Then I set up there in the instanceconfig.xml for this new PS that it has to use the DSN ODBC connection set up in the step 2. And that my catalog path is the one I am going to set up in the next step.

I copy the web catalog for the second repository to new directories (created during step 4).

6. Finally I deploy analytics.ear again. That's how I got the different path to access the two Analytics at the same time. I took the analytics.ear Enterprise Application deployment file, I uncompressed, I changed the ports in the web.xml file for both ananlytics.war and analytics-ws.war I renamed all of them. and I created a new analytics2.ear file.

Then I deployed it in the Weblogic Administration Console, bifoundation_domain -> Deployments. Summary of deployments -> Control -> Install.

Let me know if you need any help on the same.Am glad to help you.

Mark if helps,

Thanks,

• 5. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance
                  Sasi  Nagireddy

There are more ways to have multiple RPDs in one installation. But I did this. Let me know how it works for you

Go through this link 6th page http://www.biconsultinggroup.com/images/VideoAlbum/BICGWhite_Paper-OBIEE_11g_FAQs.pdf

Thanks,

• 6. Re: 2 RPD in single Instance
                    Christian Berg

Nice approach, but a bit hacky and your step #2 will be quite confusing if one's not used to hacking the odbc.ini or even find it through the opmn.xml ;-)