8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 7:57 AM by Kent Graziano RSS

How to save the er design to pdf file.

Hi all,

I am using sql  datamodeller for generating er diagram for my one of the schema.I have generated it on the design prompt but since i have 200 tables in the design it is not possible to print it, Also when i create pdf file from it the file shows size of 200kb but when i open it it is empty from adobe reader9.

I just want the output which i see in designer to pdf or in word format.Is that possible as i have to forward it to developing team.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
          user13430807

Hello,

You can try to split up the diagram in logical pieces, making the pdf smaller.

I tried it also on a larger design and didn't have any problems. What version SQL DM you are working with?

Best regards,

Joop

• 2. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
            Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Hi,

, Also when i create pdf file from it the file shows size of 200kb but when i open it it is empty from adobe reader9.

It's not empty, Adobe reader is not capable of rendering it properly. You can try Foxit reader.

You can log a bug to Adobe if you can provide them that file.

Unfortunately I don't have my own file with such problems, otherwise I'd log such bug.

Philip

• 3. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.

Thanks,

Yes that file is readable through foxit reader. but since the diagram is very big it is taking long time to scroll the things.

To show all the mapping which options should be used? I followed this procedure to generate this  ER diagram

File->import->Data Dictionary->Add->Next->Selecting the particular schema from checkbox+All selected option->next->Finish

I got the diagram after this with mapping between some master table and child table and also description of other tables(but no any mapping for them but they have single primary key)

Is it the right way of er diagram generation?

Also after this when i proceed further

I got multiple mapping when i select click Relational_1(from left side of panel)->right click discover foreign keys->next->finish after this it shows a big diagram for multiple mapping which was not seen initially.

Of both which one  represent correct er diagram,My version is 3.3 and i am generating on windows xp.

Also is there any way to split the diagram since mine is very big.

• 4. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
                user13430807

Hello,

you can split up the diagram in the following way:

- chose a major table from the diagram. Most of the times there is group of tables around a table, and chose the central one.

- in the browser, right click on this table and select 'create subview with neighbours'. In the pop-up you find some options which related tables are included in the subview. You may have to try sometines to get a reasonable setting for the table.

- throw away the not relevant tables.

- repeat for each major table.

Joop

• 5. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
                  marcusafs

Are you using File-->Print and then choosing a PDF "printer" or using File-->Print Diagram-->To PDF File.  File-->Print is not very versatile so I just use File-->Print Diagram-->To PDF File and then print the PDF.  It is possible that the first of many pages of your diagram is white space.

Marcus Bacon

• 6. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.

I am following  File-->Print Diagram-->To PDF File option.After using foxit reader i am able to see the diagram i dont know the problem with adobe reader may be a bug as said by Philip. Also i can see them from image file.

However the diagram is so big with 200 tables that i cant see it normally all at a time.

The procedure i am following to generate er diagram is :

File->import->Data Dictionary->Add->Next->Selecting the particular schema from checkbox+All selected option->next->Finish

Is it the right way of er diagram generation.What procedure you follow?

However i am confused as which is the correct way because after this when i:

select click Relational_1(from left side of panel)->right click discover foreign keys->next->finish after this it shows a big diagram for multiple mapping which was not seen in initial diagram above.

• 7. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
                      marcusafs

My approach is to break the diagram down into multiple functional areas each of which are sufficient for use by a developer.  Usually this will fit on a ledger size sheet (11X17) although I have a couple of diagrams that are E size (34X44).  Neither the ledger nor the E size fit on my screen so that I can see the entire screen while the text is visible.  Any time a developer needs a subset diagram they tell me the tables to include and I create that sub-view.  Make sure you give the sub-views names that describe the functional area.  Sub-views are way easier to create in SDDM than they were in Designer!  In EA4 R1 I wish I could make selections on a diagram and engineer or generate what is selected like creating sub-views.

Marcus Bacon.

• 8. Re: How to save the er design to pdf file.
                        Kent Graziano

Like Marcus I too break my models into sub views, after the initial reverse engineer. Then I print each diagram to a separate PDF.