This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 5:28 AM by fac586 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

ASCII data in email attachment

Tiina Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Could anybody help with this ? Is it possible to add a clob attachment ?

Tiina

• 1. Re: ASCII data in email attachment
    Tiina Newbie

Hi,

I'm stuck into this problem so I started a new branch about it.

The problem is an email attachment and the scandinavian characters that are not shown correctly after the file is sent.

The attachment file should be uploaded to a program that doesn't understand UTF8. The UTF8 BOM doesn't help in this case.

Is it possible to send the attachment in ASCII somehow ?

Tiina

• 2. Re: ASCII data in email attachment
    fac586 Guru

Tiina wrote:

Could anybody help with this ? Is it possible to add a clob attachment ?

Whether the attachment is a CLOB or BLOB is irrelevant. The issue is the character set encoding of the data. The difference between CLOB and BLOB is whether there is any implicit character set conversion when the data is processed or transferred between databases.

Tiina wrote:

Hi,

I'm stuck into this problem so I started a new branch about it.

The problem is an email attachment and the scandinavian characters that are not shown correctly after the file is sent.

The attachment file should be uploaded to a program that doesn't understand UTF8. The UTF8 BOM doesn't help in this case.

Is it possible to send the attachment in ASCII somehow ?

Yes, the data could be converted into ASCII before being added as an attachment, using for example the convert function. However loss of data is implicit in this operation as 7-bit ASCII lacks characters contained in the data. (See the note in the documentation.)

Why does the program not "understand" UTF8? What encoding does it "understand"?

• 3. Re: ASCII data in email attachment
    Tiina Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I mean the program can't read a file in UTF8 correctly, scandinavian chars are not shown correctly. If I added the BOM (that was mentioned in the previous branch), the BOM is shown like this:  . In a reply in the previous branch, there was a link to a page that says "Readers that are not UTF8 capable will read the bytes as ASCII and display the characters  at the start of the file.".That's why I thought the program is not UTF8 cabable.

Tiina

• 4. Re: ASCII data in email attachment
    fac586 Guru

Suggest you speak to whoever is responsible for the program to determine which character encoding it does expect.