3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 5:36 AM by Shane Christmas

Oracle XE 10g database offline need help getting it back in 11g EE

Shane Christmas

Our server crashed...completely crashed...lightning took it clean out. It was older hardware running server 2003, oracle xe 10g, so we replaced it with a newer better server running 2008r2 (64bit I might add).

I need to bring the old database, tablespaces and datafiles back online with the new server and the new instance of Oracle.

I have sucessfully installed oracle 11g EE and can create new a new database (all is online with this), but I need my old data back for PCM 13.1. I cannot find any good online documentation regarding this issue, and we are down until its corrected. Obviously just copying the data over isnt going to work, so any help is much appreciated.

I have good copies of the old hard drives with the folder structures intact, but there is no chance of getting the old OS back online without purchasing old matching hardware and just slamming the drives into it.

Basically how do I get the new instance of Oracle to open and run my older database...how do I restore it?

• 1. Re: Oracle XE 10g database offline need help getting it back in 11g EE
          Pradeepcmst

Hi Shane,

You said you have good copies of the old hard drives. So have u enabled archive log and do you have any full online or offline database backups along with archivelogs ?

Regards,

Pradeep. V

• 2. Re: Oracle XE 10g database offline need help getting it back in 11g EE
            Shane Christmas

I do have good clean backup copies of the entire hard drive and I also have the archive log files intact. Also, as an update, I have an XP mode virtual session running Oracle 10g xe successfully. I have been able to get the old database loaded back into 10g xe. I have tried using expdp and impdp to go from 10xe to 11xe with no success yet. I am still trying. Seems I need to clear out the sample data maybe from the 11xe install...I have logs of the export and import, but they would scroll forever if I paste them here.

• 3. Re: Oracle XE 10g database offline need help getting it back in 11g EE
              Shane Christmas

I did it...yay! Here's what I did...I installed a fresh copy of oracle 10g xe in my virtual xp mode. Stopped the database after installation...deleted and replaced the oradata and fast_recovery_area folders with my old data. Started the database and everything worked so far. In the server with 2008 r2 I installed 11g xe, same system password. I then installed SQL Developer on both computers (easier for me than typing out the scripts). In the XP mode 10g xe computer I did a FULL data pump export to a dump directory. I then moved the dump file to the new server and ran a data pump import, appending data if existing. First time, failed....checked the log and obviously I missed the fact the folder structure MUST be the same for the datafiles or I would have to remap (too much work). The default oradata folder is different in 10g than 11g. I created the oradata folder in 11g xe in the same location as 10g would put it and ran the import script again. BAM, it worked this time...I have my data back in 11g xe and my software was able to find it like it should. Thank you for your consideration and help...hope this helps someone else down the road.