This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 9:48 AM by 939520 RSS

Date Object as a key in Hash table

J4Java Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm having a hash table with date object as key , the purpose is I can pick the value which is available in given date range. Consider the below example

Coffee Powder[Code CODE1] - Effective 21-Jan & Expiry 20-Jun

Coffee Powder[Code CODE1] - Effective 22-Jun & Expiry 30-Dec

Meat[Code CODE2] - Effective 21 - Jan & Expiry 1 - Feb

Meat[Code CODE2] - Effective 2 Feb &  Expiry 6 - Feb

Currently I'm using the following hashtable & it has the structure Key - Code & Value [ List of objects] ]

CODE1- List[ Coffe Powder - 21 Jan - 20 Jun , Coffee Powder - 22 Jun - 30 Dec ]

CODE2- List[ Meat - 21 Jan - 01 Feb, Meat - 02 Feb - 06 Feb ]

To get the value which is valid for the given date , i need to get the list by passing the code & iterate the list to get the best matched value.

Example , if I want the Coffee Powder Information which is valid on 1 Feb. I need to get pass the code ( CODE 1 ) which will returns the list of objects. After we need to iterate the list to get the best match.

Instead of iteration , is there any way to maintain the hashtable & get the results quicker..?

Thx.

• 1. Re: Date Object as a key in Hash table
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert

To get a benefit out of the HashMaps quick access to keys you you'd need an exact match between your search date and a key date.

Can you cluster your Map-Content? eg.: do you always serch for a complete month?

Then you could change your Map from Map<Date,Object> to Map<Date,List<Object>> where Date is "normalised" to the first Day in month 00:00 o clock (UTC or local...).

You could also consider an additional map (Map<Date,List<Date>>) where you group the actual keys of the original Map by the expected search clusters.

bye

TPD

• 2. Re: Date Object as a key in Hash table
    939520 Explorer

You can also consider putting the data in a database table (which I prefer) as Date objects and querying what you want with SQL, something like the following pseudo code, where '?' is today's date.

select ItemName from Stock where ?>=EffectiveDate and ?<=ExpireDate order by ItemName

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points