9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 2:03 PM by user12273962 RSS

yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo

user12273962

I have a CSI for Oracle Linux and I've been syncing a local yum repo for a couple years now. I've started testing out various OL6 installes and need to be able to do a yum groupinstall but I can't seem to get it to work. I know yum grouplist work if I point to the pubic yum server but I can't seem pull the right channel or information to get it to work with my local repo.

What do I need in my local repo to get the grouplist to work by syncing my repo with Oracle?

Thanks

• 1. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
          WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

Firstly, mount your DVD/CD iso on one location (for example /mnt)

# mount -o ro,loop /dev/sr0 /mnt

Secondly, Create your own repo file.

# cd /etc/yum.repo.d/
          # vi local-repo.repo
          [local-repo]
          baseurl=file:///mnt/Server
          enabled=1
          gpgcheck=1
          gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

Finally, If you don't have the command createrepo, so install it.

# yum install createrepo

Prepare the environment to the yum grouplist

# cd /etc/yum.repo.d/
          # createrepo .
          # yum clean all && yum makecache
          # yum grouplist

then, Enjoy your self.

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

• 2. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
            user12273962

I appreciate the response but I've seen those instruction a thousand times. That is not what I am asking. I am not looking to extract the contents of the DVD into a repo. I have an existing repo. I've had for 2 years. I sync it with Oracle's repo. The sync process does not copy the group listings. If I point to the source repo, I get the grouplistings. If I point to my repo it doesn't. The sync process does not pull the grouplistings. Its is that simple. How do I pull the grouplistings from Oracle's repo I am using????

I've about gotten to the point of giving up and just creating another repo with the contents of the DVD.... the issue is.... I should be able to do a group install against the "latest" channel. This would cut out the time necessary to update all the packages from the base installation. You can do with the source repo but I can't pull the necessary information to get to work with mine.

• 3. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
              WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

What do you mean extract the contents ?

I am not looking to extract the contents of the DVD into a repo

Please Note that:

My local-repo.repo is a local repo, and this repo point to the DVD of Oracle Linux 6u4.

And with these command listed above i can pull the grouplistings from Oracle's repo that i am creating.

Dont forget to change the enabled=1 to enabled=0 on the other repo files.

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

• 4. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                user12273962

NO.... you have a repo already that has the group list. You then updated that repo.

My repo does not have the grouplist already. I have over 120GB of synced information. I don't want to have to recreate my repo and THEN sync it again. I just want to add the grouplist to my existing repo.

I understand the concept of enabling and disabling a repo definition. Like I said, I have had this repo for 2 years. I've been..... using it. I could have been using it if I had the definition disabled.

• 5. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                  Catch 22

I think the group information is contained in the repository file. You can see that when checking the man page of the "createrepo" command, which is used to create a repository file. It can use a -g parameter to specify a xml file for group information.

man createrepo

"Here is an example of a repository with a groups file. Note that the groups file should be in the  same  directory as the rpm packages (i.e. /path/to/rpms/comps.xml). createrepo -g comps.xml /path/to/rpms"

I can only guess, but perhaps the repository file you have was not created to contain such information.

If you have a subscription, I suggest to submit a SR to Oracle Support to clear or resolve the matter. The OTN forum consists primarily of regular users who volunteer to help others. You may occasionally find responses from Oracle employees, but you cannot rely on it, and it probably depends also on the question asked.

• 6. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                    user12273962

Thanks Dude.

I did try to copy the groups xml file from the source repo and couldn't get it to work. The resync command used to sync the repo does not pull the group file. I think I just need the group file. I tried placing it in the repodata folder along with the other config files but that didn't work. I will try putting it in the rpm folder and see if works. That might be what my problem is....

I did create an alternate repo with just the DVD and it worked fine. I just want to work with my existing pull.

I could open a SR but at times...SR are so much like pulling teeth... I hate to do it until I've tried about everything.

• 7. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                      Catch 22

Like I tried to explain, I don't think its a matter of fetching the group file, but a matter of building the repository file including the group information. I could be wrong, but it seems the repository file you are syncing does not contain group information.

• 8. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                        user12273962

The source repo does have the group file. I can see it through wget. Just like the public repo You can browser down with any browser and see the comps.xml group information file. I've read, that by design the resync command does not copy the group information. Its there. It just doesn't get pulled. This is why my sync operation doesn't have the group information. When I built the repo, I followed Oracle documentation and they don't have anything about creating a base repo using the createrepo command. I followed their procedure exactly. The fedora documentation for yum says you can build your own group files using the xml format or copy and edit an existing document. This makes me think you just need the xml file that defines the group information and required rpms for the bundles.

I do believe the createrepo with the -g option... somehow enables the repo for grouplist commands. That is the part I am missing. I wonder if I can just run that command against an existing directory structure that contains the repo.

• 9. Re: yum grouplist local Oracle Linux repo
                          user12273962

That fixed it. I ran the createrepo -g command that point to a source comps.xml file and then parsed the latest/$basesearch directory to rebuild the repodata metadata. Thanks