udm_lde lde

where

adm.ldeid = lde.ldeid and

msg.sendersystem = adm.system and

msg.messagetype = adm.messagetype and

msg.messageversion = adm.messageversion and

msg.receiversystem = 'SCIPS'

order by msg.clrbookdate desc

This report only takes 1 second to display.

I need to add a conditional link to another page, so I used

case

when lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype) = 'udf_distreceipt' then

'<a class="type" href="' || apex_util.prepare_url('f?p='||:APP_ID||':52:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P52_PG:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50, null, 'SESSION') || '"title="Go to udf_distreceipt Report">udf_distreceipt</a>'

else 'no link' end table_link

The sql seems to be ok, because the report accepted it, but selecting the new column and saving the report takes forever (over 2 mins)

Now the report takes over 2 minutes to run and I still need to add more conditions.

Have I coded the link incorrectly ?

Gus

• 1. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
          Gus C

Additional information.

The sql with the 3 conditional links takes 21 seconds in toad

Gus

• 2. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
            Gus C

At the moment I have created 3 standard column links.

The report performs normally, but I would rather have the conditional links

Any ideas appreciated

Gus

• 3. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
              Tom Petrus

Can you try to produce the link without the call to apex_util.prepare_url and see how that performs?

• 4. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                Gus C

Having one of those days.

For the life of me I cannot get the link code correct

case

'<a class="type" href="' || ('f?p='||:APP_ID||':52:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P52_PG:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50, null) || '">udf_distreceipt</a>'

else null END table_link

• 5. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                  Tom Petrus

case

'<a class="type" href="' || 'f?p='||:APP_ID||':52:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P52_PG:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 || '">udf_distreceipt</a>'

else null END table_link

You had the brackets around the url and still ", null" in there from the prepare_url call (the charset parameter)

• 6. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                    Paul Broughton

Hi Gus,

Are you wanting to put the link in the query for a specific reason?

I had to do a similar thing in the past and just completed the column link section for the column.

Why not just have the following in the query:

case

udf_distreceipt

else null END table_link

Then do the linking using column link section:

You would specify your link text as #TABLE_LINK# which should then be conditionally displayed due to the case statement, then add in all the page item and values to pass across using a normal link column.

Thanks

Paul

• 7. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                      Gus C

I need 3 conditions, ie the link could go to 3 diffeent pages depending on the value of lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype)

Gus

• 8. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                        Gus C

Thanks for that.

The report now runs with an acceptable speed.

The problem now is that a checksum is required on the page being called, which is why I used apex_util.prepare_url

Gus

• 9. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                          Gus C

Can anyone explain to me why, when I use this code the report takes 2 seconds to run

case

'<a class="type" href="' || 'f?p='||:APP_ID||':52:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P52_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1 || '">udf_distreceipt</a>'

when lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype) = 'udf_whstatstock' then

'<a class="type" href="' || 'f?p='||:APP_ID||':53:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P53_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1 || '">udf_whstatstock</a>'

when lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype) = 'udf_distdeli' then

'<a class="type" href="' || 'f?p='||:APP_ID||':51:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P51_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1 || '">udf_distdeli</a>'

else null END table_link

but when I use apex_util.prepare_url, it takes over 2 minutes

case

'<a class="type" href="' || apex_util.prepare_url('f?p='||:APP_ID||':52:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P52_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1, null, 'SESSION') || '">udf_distreceipt</a>'

when lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype) = 'udf_whstatstock' then

'<a class="type" href="' || apex_util.prepare_url('f?p='||:APP_ID||':53:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P53_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1, null, 'SESSION') || '">udf_whstatstock</a>'

when lower('udf_'||msg.messagetype) = 'udf_distdeli' then

'<a class="type" href="' || apex_util.prepare_url('f?p='||:APP_ID||':51:'||:APP_SESSION||'::'||:DEBUG||':RIR'||':IR_MSG_KEY,P51_PG,P51_SHOW_RESULTS:'|| lde.ldekey||'.'|| msg.alternatekey ||'.'|| msg.msgseqnumber ||','|| 50 ||','|| 1, null, 'SESSION') || '">udf_distdeli</a>'

else null END table_link

Thanks

Gus

• 10. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                            fac586

The reason for this is that Oracle is calling apex_util.prepare_url for all 127,000 rows. This incurs context switching overhead for every row, and I suspect that the apex_util.prepare_url function itself is also relatively computationally expensive, taking significant time to process each URL.

• 11. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                              Gus C

Normally I have session state protection enabled for all my pages.

I guess the only thing to do is not to use the apex_util.prepare_url for this report and take off

the session state protection on the pages being called by the link.

Is the only other option, to force the user to filter the data before the report is displayed

Gus

• 12. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                                Tom Petrus

Well either force them to filter first or actually remove the prepare_url call from your sql. Can you not just use the link column functionality of apex? All your links seem to differ in is in the text displayed for the anchor and not the actual url. So your link may not look as specific but at least it'll have session state protection and be speedy and everything will be rather standard. You could remove SSP of course, but is that better than a more generic link text? The call is up to you of course.

• 13. Re: Interactive Report Performance With Conditional Link
                                  Gus C

Thank you all for your input.

I guess I have a decision to make

Gus