4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 5:10 PM by nraju

RAC db startup issue after 11gR2 upgrade

nraju

Hi All,

I have installed RAC 2 node 10205 cluster on linux. Listener was created under ASM_HOME, I have set TNS_ADMIN to before creating the database and also did srvctl setenv database -d dbname -T TNS_ADMIN=..

I am able to start the 10g databases. I have upgraded11203 clusterware successfully and installed 11203 new oracle home.

Now new listener is running from grid home. I have copied the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora to new grid home and did srvctl setenv database/nodeapps to new TNS_ADMIN=(grid home).

I have shutdown the db from 10205 home and while STARTUP, i got the below issue.. is something wrong with my TNS_ADMIN ?

SQL> startup;

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters

ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter REMOTE_LISTENER

ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENERS_***TEST'

Please help on this issue.

• 1. Re: RAC db startup issue after 11gR2 upgrade
          Balazs Papp

Hi,

the database can not resolve the LISTENERS_***TEST TNS name.

TNS_ADMIN should be set to the location of tnsnames.ora, and not to Oracle homes.

E.g (grid home/network/admin) instead of just (grid home).

p.s: obivously, you need the corresponding entry in your tnsnames.ora

• 2. Re: RAC db startup issue after 11gR2 upgrade
            nraju

Hi,

The files are placed under grid_home/network/admin only. I should have mentioned clearly.

Yes the LISTENERS_***TEST entry is already available on tnsnames.ora file under /grid_home/network/admin.

New listener.ora file created under grid_home/network/admin has the below information,

LISTENER=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=LISTENER))))        # line added by Agent
            ENABLE_GLOBAL_DYNAMIC_ENDPOINT_LISTENER=ON          # line added by Agent
            • 3. Re: RAC db startup issue after 11gR2 upgrade
              nraju

I am able to start the database from 10g home after export TNS_ADMIN=gird_home/network/admin from the session where i am trying to start the db.

But the dbua db upgrade failed.. this time i set the TNS_ADMIN=/grid_home/network/admin, ORACLE_HOME=11g home, from the session where i am starting dbua,

CRS-5017: The resource action "ora.ihctest.db start" encountered the following error:

ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER

ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENER_IHCTEST1'

I could able to start the db with sqlplus and verified all the components are upgraded. but starting with srvctl failing with the above error.

• 4. Re: RAC db startup issue after 11gR2 upgrade
                nraju

Issue is resolved, by making the soft link to listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file from /grid_home/network/admin to /oracle11g_home/network/admin.

Thanks