This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 4:59 AM by Karthik Aryan RSS

need a project guide

Karthik Aryan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am a b.e. final year student.

My project is based on the paper "Supporting search-as-you-type using sql in databases" published in ieee explore and i got only 2 months to complete it....

so i need a guide to help me.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

• 1. Re: need a project guide
    SomeoneElse Guru

Type faster.

• 2. Re: need a project guide
    Karthik Aryan Newbie

what to type?

• 3. Re: need a project guide
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

When you ask a question it would be good if you provided a link to published paper, and indicate what the goal of your project is.

You should also ask your tutor if you are not sure what you are supposed to be doing (though I would have thought they would have explained the overall purpose of doing the project).

You also need to ensure you ask your question in the correct place.  This forum is for SQL and PL/SQL questions in Oracle.  Is the purpose of your project to demonstrate the abilities of such "search as you type" features using Oracle technology?

• 4. Re: need a project guide
    Suri Pro

Hi Karthik,

This is Oracle SQL and PL/SQL Forum. Here experts will help only if you face any issues/doubts in SQL or PL/SQL (before that you need to post the requirement along with detailed information).

In your case you need to consult your project guide. And if you face any issues while designing the database or in coding phase you can ask here. ( you cant ask in general like I want to build/design a software for xyz like that)

Cheers,

Suri

• 6. Re: need a project guide
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

KarthikAryan wrote:

so i need a guide to help me.

Google. Lots of information and stuff available.

Download and install Oracle XE (if you do not have an Oracle database).

Create a test harness:

• create a schema
    • create a couple of tables to use for search-as-you-type
    • populate tables with data (e.g. small, medium, large volumes)

Experiment:

• construct SQLs to perform search-as-you-type
    • evaluate different approaches and indexing
    • benchmark performance
    • write an evaluation paper

A fun 1 day project that leaves you with 60 days of doing nothing (but surfing, tweeting, whatever) for the remainder of the 2 months.

• 7. Re: need a project guide
    Karthik Aryan Newbie

Thanks a lot...........

my project guide is also new to this field so i thought anyone in this forum can guide me........

now i got some idea about my project...

and which forum is suitable for my project to ask doubt?

• 8. Re: need a project guide
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

We still don't know exactly what the aim of your project is, so how can we advise you where the best place to ask questions is.

Are you aiming to write a database system to achieve the 'search as you type' functionality?

Are you aiming to just write an evaluation of different existing 'search as you type' methods created by others?

Are you aiming to evaluate existing 'search as you type' methods and suggest methodologies and/or algorithms as some alternative, examining the benefits and potential issues?

What are you supposed to be doing exactly?

• 9. Re: need a project guide
    Karthik Aryan Newbie

my goal is to provide different algorithm for the existing 'search-as-you-type' system which will be efficient. but before that i want create and check the problem and efficiency of the existing system... first of all i want to know whether it is possible to do?

• 10. Re: need a project guide
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Of course it's possible... most things are, but it always depends on who's doing it, what resources they have available, and how much time is needed.

So, as Billy said, you want to set yourself up an Oracle database (if you haven't already got access to one), and work on implementing the existing algorithms that are detailed in that paper (I can't see them as I haven't purchased it, but I assume you have?), then, a) if you have issues implementing that, post here with specific details regarding what your issue is and what you're trying to achieve at that point, and people will do what they can to help and b) when you manage to get that working, you can start looking at how you're going to implement your own algorithm.

I assume you've got a good understanding of the theory/technical aspects detailed in the paper?  And you've already got 'ideas' about how you are going to try and improve on that?

• 11. Re: need a project guide
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

KarthikAryan wrote:

Thanks a lot...........

my project guide is also new to this field so i thought anyone in this forum can guide me........

now i got some idea about my project...

and which forum is suitable for my project to ask doubt?

Keep the project goals very clear and simple.

For example, do not attempt to build a web based system as project demonstrator. This will require a web server. Some form of application server or application layer. Communication to be setup and configured between web browser, web server, app server/layer and database.

The more moving parts there are, the more complex it becomes.

So keep it simple. Write a basic PL/SQL test harness. Add instrumentation to it, so it records work load, performance and elapsed time.

For example, you can write a package that provides an interface as follows:

create or replace package ProjectFoo as

-- configuration settings

MAX_LOOKUP number := 10;  -- only find the 1st 10 matches when doing a lookup

..etc..

-- large lookup-as-typing for a 100,000 cities

function LookupCity( keyPhrase in varchar2 ) return StringArray;

-- smaller lookup-as-typing for a 10,000 products

function LookupProduct( keyPhrase in varchar2 ) return StringArray;

..etc..

end;

When a function is called, it records its execution in a LOOKUP_PERFORMANCE table and record what the configuration settings were, elapsed execution time to perform the lookup, and even database workload stats as amount of I/O needed (logical and physical), amount of CPU time consumed, etc.

As you try different methods to perform the lookups against different sizes tables, using different execution plans (indexes for example), you simply add the new method as a function to the package, and use the private code (functions and procedures) in the package for that function's implementation to record its execution stats in the performance table.

Once you have defined all the different methods and have a working package, you write your test interface. This calls the various functions in the package with different criteria - and to get a good indication of performance, call each function when testing a 1000 times.

The last step is to write some report and analytical SQLs that extracts a summary for each of the methods from the performance table - and copy and paste this into your project report.

The above is just one approach to the project (based on my limited understanding of the brief description of your project). The core issue is that you need to CLEARLY identify the project goal and the simplest method for you to use to address that goal. Simplicity is the ultimate form of elegance in software engineering.

• 12. Re: need a project guide
    Karthik Aryan Newbie

now i want to generate a pop-up menu which consists of data residing in the database. i don't know how to generate a pop-up menu. help me.....

• 13. Re: need a project guide
    SomeoneElse Guru

> i don't know how to generate a pop-up menu.

Neither do we.

We don't know what platform you're using, or your front end tool, reporting tool, programming language, etc.

Even so, that's probably a question for a different forum since we don't do graphical stuff in this forum.  SQL and PL/SQL run on the server, not the user's desktop.

• 14. Re: need a project guide
    Karthik Aryan Newbie

i m using sql developer kit and whether it is possible to generate pop-up menu in sql....

suggest me the right forum to ask this?

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points