This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 4:17 AM by EdStevens RSS

Help Install Oracle

Vadz007 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Im new to Oracle.i have install database 10g R2DB..what should my next step?...Interested to lean oracle

please can someone shown some lights here

• 1. Re: Help Install Oracle
    DK2010 Guru

Hi,

You can Start from here:Oracle Database Online Documentation 10g Release 2 (10.2)

If you get any Error issue, you can post in the forum with error log and details.

• 2. Re: Help Install Oracle
    SomeoneElse Guru

> Im new to Oracle.i have install database 10g R2DB

Then why install such an old release?

You should have started with 11.2 or even 12.1.

• 3. Re: Help Install Oracle
    EdStevens Guru

Vadz007 wrote:

Im new to Oracle.i have install database 10g R2DB..what should my next step?...Interested to lean oracle

please can someone shown some lights here

Oracle 10g is so old it is not even publicly available for download any more.  Where did you get it?

• 4. Re: Help Install Oracle
    Vadz007 Newbie

hi

SomeoneElse and EdStevens  thanks for both of your replies

Im new to oracle as a said , i just got advised from my senior staff to install the oracle database 10g in our shares to start with, so i can learn and understand..

will uninstall 10 and install 11.2...after install 11.2 what should my next step..

thanks in advance

• 5. Re: Help Install Oracle
    EdStevens Guru

Vadz007 wrote:

hi

SomeoneElse and EdStevens  thanks for both of your replies

Im new to oracle as a said , i just got advised from my senior staff to install the oracle database 10g in our shares to start with, so i can learn and understand..

will uninstall 10 and install 11.2...after install 11.2 what should my next step..

thanks in advance

Why not ask your "senior staff" that advised you to install an obsolete version?  What position are you in and who are these "senior staff"?

What background do you have in programming?  SQL? Operating systems?  Networking?

Are you wanting to learn how to administer a database?  Develop applications that use a database?  Something else?

Oracle Database Online Documentation 11g Release 2 (11.2)

Most important:

Concepts Guide

Two-Day DBA

Go to  docs.oracle.com.

Locate the link for your Oracle product and version, and click on it.

You are now at the entire documentation set for your selected Oracle product and version.

BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab (for 10.x) or the "Master Book List" link (for 11.x) you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what kind of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what kind of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth.  They are reference manuals.  Just get familiar with what is there to be referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.

- *Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual*.

- Take a look in your alert log.  One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.

- Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.

- *When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again*.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points