4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2013 8:21 AM by JB1 RSS

Smart View Launch Business Rule RTP Issue

JB1

Hi

I have a user running Smartview 11.1.2.1087 on Windows 7, Excel 2010 (32 bit) - we are on 11.1.2.1 of Planning.

He has an issue when launching business rules either from a Task List or by right clicking an Application and selecting Business Rules from the menu; the issue being that the prompt that should appear with the options of Launch, Close or Help, doesn't appear.

Not only doesn't it appear, but Excel is locked from this point and requires a restart.  He cant click anywhere within Excel to activate any other menus, switch tabs, or close down Excel (he gets the Windows 'beep' sounds when clicking).  It is almost like the prompt has actually opened as this is the normal behaviour when one does, but he just cant see it.

I have tried disabling all other add-ons but no joy.  If he logs into Smart View on another machine then he is fine to run rules as normal.

Within the Smartview/Help/About menu I have checked 'Version Info' for his install - only oddities in here are 'File not found' for Msxml.dll (although Msxml3, 4 and 6 exist) and File not found for IExplore.exe.  Not sure if these are relevant?  In addition, the user generally runs dual monitors (laptop as one as normal monitor as other), was thinking maybe this was confusing things somehow but disconnecting the additional monitor has made no difference to behaviour.

Was going to just get him to run the rules from Workspace but he is using IE10 and so cant open it.

Before I attempt a Smartview re-install or try updating to a more recent version, does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

JB

• 1. Re: Smart View Launch Business Rule RTP Issue
          JTF85

I had some weird issues where the pop-up wasn't actually being displayed on the monitor, but it was opening (I think it was actually on 11.1.1.3).  We found this out by someone experiencing the problem, and then adding a second monitor for another purpose and the box would show up on the second monitor.  We ended up deleting the Excel items in the registry, and when Excel is reopened it rebuilt them and the popup worked, another option would have been to add a second monitor temporarily to move it back to the main monitor.

Regards

JTF

• 2. Re: Smart View Launch Business Rule RTP Issue
            JB1

Hi JTF

Cheers for the reply, sounds like it is probably something similar in this instance then.

Will get him to try some more toggling with the dual monitors to see if we can sort it that way.  Regarding your alternative solution, can you recall which registry entries you had to delete in order to resolve?

JB

• 3. Re: Smart View Launch Business Rule RTP Issue
              JTF85

I'm 95% sure it was HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel and we deleted the whole folder as Excel will rebuild it.  I'm sure there's a more specific key that could be modified, but we didn't look to hard as the users weren't worried about personal workbooks or custom addins.

JTF

• 4. Re: Smart View Launch Business Rule RTP Issue
                JB1

Cheers

Will have a look at the suggestions and update once (or if!) we get somewhere.

JB