1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2013 5:43 AM by Dude! RSS

how to add a picture

user10274093

Hi,

is it possible to add a picture to our post ?

If yes how ?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: how to add a picture

Yes, the current version of the software that runs this site offers to let a registered OTN forum user select an image as a general avatar that appears for all their posts.

You can have only one such avatar represent you at any time.   You cannot have different ones for individual posts.

Click on your username and you will be shown your profile page.

That page has four or five tabs across the top, such as Bio, Activity, Content, etc.

Select the Activity tab.   At the right side of the page is a link to "Change Avatar".

If you select that link you will see approximately 40 pre-selected images.

Those are the only ones you can pick.

Select one and save your choice.

Done (until such time as you pick a different one).

Edit:

It appears that Nicholas and I responded at the same time, and he actually read the initial post correctly.

If that question is "how do I spatter an image into the body of my post",  then NO you cannot include images because that would be an easy way for spammers to post inappropriate content.

• 2. Re: how to add a picture
            Nicolas.Gasparotto

Feature disabled so far for security reason. It's not exclude to be added in a future. "Future" has to be defined.

Nicolas.

• 3. Re: how to add a picture
              user10274093

thanks.

But the question is about adding a picture in relation with our questions. For example if I want to show an Explain Plan with a picture. Is it possible ?

Regards.

• 4. Re: how to add a picture

See my edited response above:

"If that question is "how do I spatter an image into the body of my post",  then NO you cannot include images because that would be an easy way for spammers to post inappropriate content."

The feature is deliberately disabled.

You would need to find some third-party hosting site, put your images there, then provide a link to it in your forum post.   Keep in mind that most people refuse to go to third party forum links for fear of malware.

• 5. Re: how to add a picture
                  BluShadow

rukbat wrote:

See my edited response above:

"If that question is "how do I spatter an image into the body of my post",  then NO you cannot include images because that would be an easy way for spammers to post inappropriate content."

The feature is deliberately disabled.

You would need to find some third-party hosting site, put your images there, then provide a link to it in your forum post.   Keep in mind that most people refuse to go to third party forum links for fear of malware.

Or because their company blocks such image hosting sites. 

• 6. Re: how to add a picture
                    Dude!

I understand the concern for protecting the forum from unsolicited content. Restrictions exist for very good reasons. And I very much appreciate the clean forum, thanks to the work of the forum moderators.

We should however not let spammers and other Internet terrorists dictate what we can do, and as a result limit what is considered legitimate or feasible in the light of possible threats. And for the better or worse, I could even add a link to family friendly picture right now.

To disable picture posts seems reasonable and realistic from the point of forum moderation in the current situation, in my opinion. The ability to add a picture is very useful though and worth to keep an open mind and more development in this area. There certainly were technical and resource issues in the past, but today it is probably more or less a matter of implementation. I'm surprised that the forum software has lots of gotchas, but no captchas for spam protection, for instance.

• 7. Re: how to add a picture
                      Billy~Verreynne

We actually had this feature (image tag in postings) for a while in 2006.

Of course it was abused. And was disabled some months later.

• 8. Re: how to add a picture
                        Dude!

There would be not much left if we disable everything that has been abused in the past. The goal in my opinion should be to enable as much as possible.The question or challenge is how make it feasible and manageable. There are technical solutions available today that did not exist in the past, for instance, digital image recognition and captchas, which can help to protect from spam. A similar concept already exists to protect the use of certain words. Whether or not Jive can do it, I have no idea, but it tries to be modern in many aspects. How is Facebook dealing with abuse?

• 9. Re: how to add a picture
                          Dude!

The only possible way right now is apparently to upload a picture to an image hosting site, then add a link to your forum post. There are several sites available that operate for free and even anonymously. I sugget to google the topic. The way image links can be displayed has improved in the current version of the forum software.

http://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@ocom/documents/digitalasset/1911847.jpg

• 10. Re: how to add a picture
                            BluShadow

Dude wrote:

There would be not much left if we disable everything that has been abused in the past. The goal in my opinion should be to enable as much as possible.The question or challenge is how make it feasible and manageable. There are technical solutions available today that did not exist in the past, for instance, digital image recognition and captchas, which can help to protect from spam. A similar concept already exists to protect the use of certain words. Whether or not Jive can do it, I have no idea, but it tries to be modern in many aspects. How is Facebook dealing with abuse?

The other forum I moderate on does allow pictures.  Fortunately we've also put in restrictions so that new members are automatically on moderation for a period of 5 days and until they've made a couple of acceptable posts, so the moderators can try and ensure they are genuine and not just trying to spam.  Some of the pictures spammers have attempted to post on there are quite horrific or disgusting (and I'm no prude) and I'm just glad we are able to prevent them from being publicly visible.  It seems however that Jive cannot support such a 'newbie' moderation period, and I guess the high activity of these forums would create quite a lot of need for the moderators to approve such initial posts which may be unreasonable.  In that case, I guess just blocking pictures from being posted is really the only option due to such limitations of the forum software.

• 11. Re: how to add a picture
                              Billy~Verreynne

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you that we should have this feature (inline images in postings).

But unfortunately, due to pass abuse, this feature has been disabled. At a time, one could even code a far greater amount of raw HTML into a Jive posting (for better/superior formatting of sample code for example). Soon this too was abused by some using Javascript to inject ads and other stuff into the forum when viewing a specially crafted posting.

So whatever the feature is - there are always some arsehole who will try and exploit it for monetary gain - or simply for troll/4chan-type fame.

Which makes it difficult for anyone running (and using) a forum system with such features enabled.

As for Facebook - there is abuse. No, they are not dealing with it effectively. As I understand, breast-feeding pics are a problem, but beheadings not.

Not that I really give a darn about what Facebook does and does not do. I'll rather be on-line on Steam than on Facebook and other social media...

• 12. Re: how to add a picture
                                Dude!

How about an account upgrade option, which people could apply for by signing a paper and attaching their utility bill or personal ID for verification?

• 13. Re: how to add a picture
                                  Billy~Verreynne

Easily faked. :-)

• 14. Re: how to add a picture
                                    Dude!

Maybe, but not on a large scale and most likely manageable on a case basis. Faking an ID is a felony.

1 2 Previous Next