1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 2:57 PM by GRQ

Failed to initialize MaxL

GRQ

Hi,

I've installed Essbase on Linux - release 11.1.2 (ESB11.1.2.1.0B347). When I'd like to start startMaxl.sh script, I've got an error:

"Faile to initialize MaxL"

Could You help me with these problem?

• 1. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
          CL

It's almost certainly a pathing issue.

If you search for startmaxl.sh (you know, I am a total Linux n00b -- is it .sh?  .somethingelse?) you should see the Linux equivalent of C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\EssbaseServer\essbaseserver1\bin

If I navigate to that directory in a cmd window (again, this is Windows but I'll bet it works the same way in Linux) and then type:

startmaxl

or

essmsh

MaxL launches.  If that works, then it's just a question of setting your path correctly.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

• 2. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
            GRQ

I'm navigating to the path, where this script is (startMaxl.sh) and then, when I'm launching this script I receive this error: Failed to initialize MaxL.

When I'm trying to launch startEsscmd.sh script I receive another error: "Error: Unable to init client"

• 3. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
              Sh!va

Can you check that user have permissions to travel to Oracle/Middleware/EPMSystem11R1/products/eas/eas client (search for file essmsh and esscmd if path is wrong, as don't have the exact path as of now).

Also check the permissions of essmsh ,esscmd and library files.

Cheers!

Sh!va

• 4. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                Vasavya Chowdary

Set these below paths in envi variables

ARBORPATH -> D:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R!\common\EssbaseRTC-64\11.1.2.0
                ESSBASEPATH -> D:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R!\common\EssbaseRTC-64\11.1.2.0
                PATH -> D:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R!\common\EssbaseRTC-64\11.1.2.0\bin

then run essmsh for MaxL from D:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R!\common\EssbaseRTC-64\11.1.2.0\bin this should help

• 5. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                  $anty

Have you installed Essbase clients? (Not mandatory to run MaxL).  If not, try installing from installables & see if that solves your issue.

I would recommend to use startMaxl.sh to initialize maxls if this is EPM 11.1.2.x.

Thanks,

Santy

• 6. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                    AmarnathK

By any chance do you have multiple versions of essbase installed? Are you executing it from the right path? Because if i remember correctly, there are multiple start scripts at different locations. Correct me if i am wrong

amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 7. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                      GRQ

I've set all variables: ARBORPATH, EPM_ORACLE_HOME, EPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE, ESSBASEPATH (all these variables are also defined in setEssbaseEnv.sh script, which is executed through startMaxl.sh script), but it didn't help.

• 8. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                        GRQ

I've checked all permissions: they are set properly, for user executed that script.

• 9. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                          GRQ

No, I haven't installed Essbase client, and what is worse: I have no way to install new components...

• 10. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                            GRQ

I've installed one version of Essbase and two databases are running on it, so I've two locations with startMaxl script. I've tried to run both of them - with the same error...

• 11. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                              Sh!va

I will take it as all the variables are set in profile of  user as well by your statement "All variable are set".

Can you check if all the variables are set properly as per the env scripts avaliable in 2 locations.

$ARBORPATH/bin and $EPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE/bin.

I hope you are running startMaxl.sh from $ARBORPATH/bin location as you haven't installed client.

And are you just getting "Failed to initialize Maxl" error or something else as well ?

Cheers!

Sh!va

• 12. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                                GRQ

Hi,

"I will take it as all the variables are set in profile of  user as well by your statement "All variable are set"." - Yes, in .bash_profile is execution of setEssbaseEnv.

"...as per the env scripts avaliable in 2 locations" - I didn't understand this statement? What I have to check exactly?

"I hope you are running startMaxl.sh from $ARBORPATH/bin location as you haven't installed client" - Yes, exactly.

"And are you just getting "Failed to initialize Maxl" error or something else as well ?" - Yes, I'm getting "Failed to initialize MaxL" error...

I don't have any more ideas on what should I check...

• 13. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                                  Sh!va

you can find setEnv.sh under /HOME/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/epmsystem*/bin (* will be number as per your server).

.bash_profile should contain all the containts of setEnv.sh and setEssbaseEnv.sh..

if not please add those in bash_profile by prefixing export ..

Sample:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$EPM_ORACLE_HOME/../jdk160_21/jre/lib/amd64/server:$EPM_ORACLE_HOME/../jdk160_21/jre/lib/amd64:$EPM_ORACLE_HOME/common/ODBC-64/Merant/6.0/lib:$ESSBASEPATH/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export ORA_NLS10=$EPM_ORACLE_HOME/nls/data

export ORA_NLS10

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EPM_ORACLE_HOME}/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export ESS_JVM_OPTION1=-Xmx64M

export ESS_JVM_OPTION1

export EPM_ORACLE_HOME EPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE ARBORPATH HYPERION_LOGHOME ESSBASEPATH ESSLANG ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION3 ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION4 ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION5 DOMAIN_HOME ODBCINST

Note:- its just sample, All the entries of above mentioned script should be their in bash_profile.

Cheers!

Sh!va

• 14. Re: Failed to initialize MaxL
                                    GRQ

As I wrote above: the user profile contains execution of setEssbaseEnv.sh, so after login I have set following variables:

ARBORPATH=/var/databases/essbase/user_projects/epmsystem3essbase/EssbaseServer/essbaseserver

EPM_ORACLE_HOME=/opt/hyperion/essbase/EPMSystem11R1

EPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=/var/databases/essbase/user_projects/epmsystem3essbase

ESSBASEPATH=/opt/hyperion/essbase/EPMSystem11R1/products/Essbase/EssbaseServer

ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION3=-Doracle.security.jps.config=D:/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/EPMSyste/config/fmwconfig/jps-config.xml

ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION4=-DEPM_ORACLE_HOME=/opt/hyperion/essbase/EPMSystem11R1

ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION5=-DEPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE=/var/databases/essbase/user_projects/epmsystem3essbase

ESS_CSS_JVM_OPTION6=-Doracle.dms.context=OFF

ESS_JVM_OPTION1=-Xmx64M

HYPERION_HOME=/opt/hyperion/essbase/EPMSystem11R1

HYPERION_LOGHOME=/var/databases/essbase/user_projects/epmsystem3essbase/diagnostics/logs/essbase

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/hyperion/essbase/EPMSystem11R1/lib

In the setEnv.sh I've only HYPERION_HOME, EPM_ORACLE_HOME and EPM_ORACLE_INSTANCE, which are set also in above script (with same values)

It's possible to find any other error messages, instead of  'Failed to initialize MaxL' - which doesn't say anything?

1 2 Previous Next