7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 12:50 AM by myjim RSS

Clear Data

Alscl

hi all.

What is the difference between clearblock an cleardata using FIX statement??

Thanks...

Regards

• 1. Re: Clear Data
          TimG

I think the differences in usage are laid out pretty clearly in the Technical Reference entries for CLEARBLOCK and CLEARDATA.  Although there is one notable error in the documentation - CLEARDATA on a purely sparse combination does actually remove blocks from the database.  See Cameron's Blog For Essbase Hackers: Stupid Programming Tricks #6

I'm not totally clear what you want to know, though.  If you're asking how a pair of snippets like the following differ (functionally)...

FIX ("New York")

CLEARBLOCK ALL;

ENDFIX

...vs...

CLEARDATA "New York";

...the answer (per Cameron's blog post) is that they don't.  And that's true if you choose a dense member too.

• 2. Re: Clear Data
            Celvin Kattookaran

@TimG I've seen that (which Cameron posted) happening with the new versions.

Regards

Celvin

http://www.orahyplabs.com

• 3. Re: Clear Data
              Alscl

Thanks.

My question is....Is better use clearblock?? why??

Regards.

• 4. Re: Clear Data
                CL

>>My question is....Is better use clearblock?? why??

^^^Do you want to remove blocks or not?  Despite what I blogged about, CLEARDATA is not (and doesn't, when the dimension is dense) remove blocks.  You might (quite likely) do want to keep those blocks around for allocation/calculation purposes.

If you use CLEARBLOCK you will remove the blocks as per the Tech Ref:

"Sets cell values to #MISSING, and if all the cells are empty or #MISSING, removes the block."

Just remember that despite the documentation, CLEARDATA can remove blocks if pointed at a sparse dimension member.

As for whether one is better than the other given the above guidance on removing blocks, it's my favorite (and most constant) Essbase answer:

It depends.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

• 5. Re: Clear Data
                  myjim

My experience the only time I used CLEARBLOCK was when there was a block error in the cube.
                  I was able to narrow it down to the blocks that were causing the issue. Using the CLEARBLOCK managed to resolve it, CLEARDATA didn't.

However for all of my calculations where I need to clear data I still use CLEARDATA.

We should start a poll....

Regards

Jimmy

• 6. Re: Clear Data
                    AmarnathK

Hi Jimmy

Just curious to know what do you mean by "My experience the only time I used CLEARBLOCK was when there was a block error in the cube.". What kind of Block error you are talking about?

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 7. Re: Clear Data
                      myjim

Hey Amarnath

I think the error was something to do with the Invalid Block Headers (IBH)

Again I am not stating that the CLEARBLOCK function will always resolve the above error.

But it did when I had the issue with 2 of my clients. I had to keep redefining my FIX statement in my calculation to trace the blocks that were potenially causing the error.