8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 4:44 PM by user637777

export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console

user637777

Hi!

We are having an all data export for a database with 11 pag files (2 gb each). We used eas console functionality for this purpose.

I am just wondering do we get also the same amount as txt files or is the export usually smaller? It seems to take a while to get the export done.

We have sometime earlier exported level0 data out for a database with more than 30 pag files and it produced a txt file which was less than 1 Gb in size. Also the time used was quite short.

In this case we were not sure whether it would have been enough just to export level0 data and import it back and recalculate.

oh, I almost forgot, the version is 9.3.3

kind regards,

user637777

• 1. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
          TimG

As an exercise, you could look at the number of level-zero blocks in your 30 .pag file cube and then work out (assuming all blocks take the same amount of export file space) how much space all blocks would have required in that example.  The number of level-zero and total blocks are available in database statistics. 

If anything, upper-level blocks are likely to be more dense (i.e. contain more data values) than level-zero blocks so it's probably even worse than that estimate would suggest.

I would not be surprised if the (full) export is larger than the database.  You do have parallel export in 9.3.3, you might want to look at that if you haven't already.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
            user637777

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

As it seems now it will take a long time to complete this export. Can this export process be killed through EAS or do we just need to wait until it reaches its end (whenever it happens)? Hopefully we do not run out of disc space..

Parallel export, good point! If we get all the data exported we must remember this next time.

kind regards,

user637777

• 3. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
              TimG

No problem!

You should be able to kill it through EAS, yes.

If it won't stop, or goes into 'Terminating...' status indefinitely, killing the relevant ESSSVR (not ESSBASE!) process is an option - but not really recommended.  Exactly how to do that depends on your OS.

• 4. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
                TimG

Actually, a correction...

I don't think you can kill it through EAS at all.  I just tested and (with BSO, at least) EAS accepted the command, but the request just went to 'Terminating...' until the export completed naturally.  Did you find otherwise?

On my 11.1.2.2 system looks like I can kill ASO exports.

I remembered that it could be problematic (hence the comment about getting stuck on 'Terminating...' and killing ESSSVR)  but John Goodwin mentioned to me that he had never seen it work.  Apologies.

• 5. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
                  user637777

Hi!

Fortunately we were lucky enough, the export went through successfully. The files we got were also smaller (in total GB:s) than originally page files. We cleared the database and reloaded the data. The users of the database will inform us if they find that something is missing.

I remember having issue with killing export process in another case. I think it did not terminate nicely..

But, anyway thank you for your advice.

kind regards,

user637777

• 6. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
                    TimG

That's interesting re the size of the files, thanks for posting back.  Despite having the 'correct' answer in this thread, I think I was wrong about almost everything.

• 7. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
                      AmarnathK

Good that it got completed

Piece of advice that will help you in future. (Always have two dense dimensions in your application if you have a very large Dense dimension)

If your application has only 1 Dense Dimension (no one would ever suggest to have only 1), then you will have lot of page files generated. I remember there was an application with only 2 page files and when it ran it has generated around 20 - 30 text files. Dense Dimension was accounts and it has around 12000 stored members.

Reason

When you have only one dense dimension and by default it will take this dimension in columns and it will bump your file size a lot

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 8. Re: export all data (11 pag files) using EAS console
                        user637777

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. We have three dense dimensions in this database.  Tha pag files were mainly due to fragmentation, which we decided to get rid of. I think the fragmentation was caused by lots of calculations (Planning application with two databases).   Now the database is much smaller and quicker after reloading the data.

kind regards,

user637777