This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 9:46 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

oracle error is null

natpidgeon Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

here is code

• 1. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

here is get_fdfolio_info_web

• 2. Re: oracle error is null
    Frank Kulash Guru

Hi,

You're trying to put 'OTC' into the column rate_code, and that looks okay, but it has nothing to do with the error you're getting.  The error message says that you need a (non-NULL) value for the column resv_num., but you never gave one.

Ways to fix the problem include

1. give a value for resv_num in the INSERT statement
    2. derive a value for resv_num in the trigger, when one isn't given
    3. remove the NOT NULL constraint on resv_num
  • 3. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

YES Frank Kulash i see what you mean, i nee dto put all the values to i can add it to the table, i should have been more specific in the actuall problem

the actual problem is when i do choose  "ntc" it does not save it will go back to the old one

but when i choose 'otc" first and then click on 'ntc' it does save it, so im wondering why

• 4. Re: oracle error is null
    Frank Kulash Guru

Hi,

Sorry, I can't recreate the problem.

If you can post CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements for a little sample data in all the relevant tables (as they exist before the trigger fires), an INSERT statement that cause the error, and the results you'd like to see from that INSERT statement (that is, the state of the changed table after everything finishes) then I could try it.  It would help a lot if you could post a much shorter version of the query that causes the same problem.  I know that's a lot of work, and you may feel it's not worth your time.

• 5. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

th

• 6. Re: oracle error is null
    Warren Tolentino Expert

what does the procedure CLYRVELAZQUES.get_fdfolio_info() has to do with the insert? was it being called from database trigger?

• 7. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

the problem i think it has to do with this c

• 8. Re: oracle error is null
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Sheez. Bluntly put. Cr@p code.

Why? Severe and total lack of modularisation.

And modularised structured code is the very CORE of software engineering.

It is truly sad to see such code in production. (I long since ceased to be horrified by such code)

If you really want to call yourself a programmer and software engineer - fix it. Modularise it.

Or spend the rest of your career as developer dealing with miserable problems like you are doing at the moment.

• 9. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

billyverreynne just so you know is not my code, and is not easy to fix.

but thanks for advice....

• 10. Re: oracle error is null
    jihuyao Journeyer

I suspect that when NTC is used in certain cases, the drop down or something in the frontdesk screen is looking at rate code in p_resv_unit and it is NULL. 

Not sure still able to talk about event programming but almost sure it has nothing to do with the procedure logic which simply takes the input values from application variables either null or not null.

When the sheet (screen) with drop down list is initiated and opened (check the application codes on these events), p_resv_unit should be assigned with the first value shown in the list or null if it is blank when opened.  And p_resv_unit will be reassigned each time clicking event happens.   

• 11. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

• 12. Re: oracle error is null
    jihuyao Journeyer

need three month training on that

• 13. Re: oracle error is null
    natpidgeon Newbie

YEAH , i may need 3 months too.

• 14. Re: oracle error is null
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

natpidgeon wrote:

billyverreynne just so you know is not my code, and is not easy to fix.

but thanks for advice....

That does not change the need for the code to be refactored. And refactored mercilessly.

A code unit (procedure, function or method) needs to do ONE thing only, and do it well.

For example, this code (my comments as program comments in green):

begin  
      -- here is  modularisation
     resv_rec := dml_p_reservation.get_rec( pnResvNum 0: 
    -- here is a module embedded in another module -why is this code block not a function??
    begin 
      select * into resvunit_rec from p_resv_unit where resv_eff_date = resv_rec.arrival_date and resv_num = resv_rec.resv_num and rownum < 2; 
    exception when others then  -- should be exception NO_DATA_FOUND and not generic
      resvunit_rec := null; 
    end;  

Also - what is the reason for the rownum criteria? Why is the reason for selecting a random row matching the criteria, not documented in program comments?

Code like thus MUST be fixed. It is not optional in my book. Unless you want it to grow worse, become more bug ridden, more unstable, more unmaintainable, and more of a liability to the business processes that the code is suppose to support? CODE LIKE THIS IS A RISK TO BUSINESS!

So I'll say it again. Code is cr@p. Fix it.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points