10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2013 12:33 PM by AmarnathK RSS

Essbase ASO Calculation Issue

myjim

Hi All

I am writing a calculation for a client to copy one version to another version for an Essbase ASO application.

It seems to work correctly when my POV is set on a smaller datapoints. Hower it seem to have issues when fixed on larger datapoints.

The calculations is pretty simple

[ActualFinal] := [ActualWorking];

I tried creating and running the calculation both using MaxL and Calculation Manager. However the same issue seem to occur.

I first thought it might have been an implied share issue, but further investigation, it doesn't seem to be the issue as I can get the data copied using a smaller POV.

The client is on version 11.1.2.3 of Essbase.

Any one have any thoughts of what may be causing this?

Thanks

Jimmy

• 1. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
          Celvin Kattookaran

What is the issue that you are getting? Is that giving the 2^64 error? You might have to create multiple scripts with different set of POVs

Regards

Celvin

http://www.orahyplabs.com

• 2. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
            myjim

Hey Celvin

Thanks for your replies over the last weeks on my questions.

I am not getting any errors. It tells me the time it took to execute and the number of cells generated. But when I go to SmartView and put both version besides each other there is a difference in the data. Parts of it gets copied, other parts don't. I was thinking of creating multiple scripts but now it puts doubt it my head if the copies completes correctly each time, unless I rec the data each time the data copied is performed.

I will raise a SR against Oracle.

• 3. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
              Celvin Kattookaran

Yes it is advisable to raise an SR. Interesting thing is it updates some cells and not all!!!

Can you find any relation where it is not copying?(Missing Cells, Implied Shared, Label only parent)

Regards

Celvin

• 4. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                AmarnathK

Hi

I too had a similar Issue.

If you are running it from EAS then you may not find the exact error. Try to run it from Maxl command line.

If you are using "execute calculation", i too has the similar behavior not sure why. Can you try "execute allocate" instead of "execute calculate". That resolved my issue and it was calculating for all the combinations.

There was a similar post on network54 forum

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 5. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                  Celvin Kattookaran

Oh were you able to run execute calculation command from EAS? (As far as I know it is not supported, I never tried it on the latest version though).

Execute allocation is all together a different thing, you'll have to tweak it to mimic datacopy.

Regards

Celvin

• 6. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                    AmarnathK

Yup but it never showed up the limit error message. it just says that the statement executed successfully. it doesn't even show how many cells were calculated. it did calculated only a few cells but not all.

had to switch to Maxl and then split the calc and ran but still few combinations were missing. When changed to "Execute Allocate" everything went fine...not sure why?

• 7. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                      myjim

Thanks Amarnath I will give the Execute Allocate a go, just needed see what needs to be done to allocate the amount from one version to another.

I have been executing it through MaxL but not via EAS. Via MaxL in the DOS window it stated the number of cells that were calculated. I thought it might have been the amount of data it could hold in memory. Adjusted the cache as well but no difference.

Celvin I spent half a day trying to see if there was a pattern for the cells that didn't copy but I couldn't come up with any thing.

Amarnath what version are you on? I am glad someone else has experienced this issue as well.

I will keep you guys updated on how I go with the version copy using the Execute Allocate command.

Thanks

Jimmy

• 8. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                        AmarnathK

I had this issue in 11.1.2.1. Never tried on the later versions

FYI - Have a look at this post (http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296/thread/1359579119/MDX+Query+-+Error+127001)

Below is an excert from the post by Joe Watkins

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Watkins

ASO Performance

No score for this post
                        February 11 2013, 1:18 PM

Here are the current limitations as I see them when trying to go ASO only:

- These scripts are not as fast as calc scripts
                        - performance is worse when users are on the system
                        - Cannot run these types of calcs when loads are taking place
                        - need to watch for incremental slices

- Users cannot natively execute these types of scripts
                        - These scripts can be very fussy to get working
                        - When I ran the exact same scripts (per my examples) as 'Calculation' versus 'Allocation' the 'Calculation' would skip random cells which was really weird and impossible to fix which is why I switched to using 'Allocation'

In my mind the technology is not mature enough at the moment to get rid of BSO but its getting better..

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 9. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                          myjim

Hey Amarnath

I took your advice and rewrote the calcuation using the Excecute Allocation instead of Execute Calculation and it works like a dream.

Doesn't really make sense that the Execute Allocation function is required but what ever to get it working.

Took me 15minutes to understand and write the calculation. Sometime you just have to view the problem in a new way.

Thanks both of you for adding to this conversation.

Regards

Jimmy

• 10. Re: Essbase ASO Calculation Issue
                            AmarnathK

Glad it helped . Yes, you are right. Sometimes you just have to view in a different way.

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase