This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2013 3:57 PM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Dude! Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

Giving this some more thought, in particular the arguments that were brought forward about lack of bravery or personal integrity in combination with post-editing or deleting of forum posts, I think its pretty much BS. To speak of courage about an online user profile is actually pathetic.

I suggest to consider that a lot has changed in regard to how people perceive, use or consume information, or should I better say should. The Internet changed it all and demands from everyone more tolerance and scepticism. Obviously not everyone has arrived their yet and may be stuck in personal or cultural bias.

It has become very easy for anyone to search for information. The results are often quoted and taken out of context. It is the nature of the business so to speak. Some stupid comment or idea can easily be found by anyone looking for it and the person may not follow up on further development, or the person looking for information may ignore it to suit their case. Anything negative on the Internet can become a potential problem and affect a persons job and future, even without knowledge and influence.

Maintaining an online user profile with a real identity is actually pretty imprudent. The chances to have said something stupid among 10000's of posts are high, and unlike in real life, unfortunately, the Internet does not forget. I therefore think it is legitimate and even necessary to be able to edit or delete forum posts and to revoke unfortunate personal opinions or statements for the sake of personal fairness. At least I don't blame anyone who does.

Btw, I may regret everything I say here later, but right know it is simply too much fun to argue. I appreciate the dialog.

• 31. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Dude wrote:

Maintaining an online user profile with a real identity is actually pretty imprudent. The chances to have said something stupid among 10000's of posts are high, and unlike in real life, unfortunately, the Internet does not forget. I therefore think it is legitimate and even necessary to be able to edit or delete forum posts and to revoke unfortunate personal opinions or statements for the sake of personal fairness. At least I don't blame anyone who does.

What is pathetic is to behave one way in real life, and then behave in a totally different way on the Internet as you can hide behind anonymity and act with impudence and arrogance and with hatred and prejudice... and then when that anonymity is threatened and you are exposed as to what you really are, claiming recourse under privacy laws and wanting your online content deleted.

Now I do understand and agree with Internet anonymity for those who are prosecuted for their gender identify, or not being hetero, or not agreeing with the government, being denied freedom of thought, speech, association and so on.

I'm not debating that. What I am saying that we are responsible for what we post on the Internet. And that I deem you a coward for trying to destroy what you have posted online in an attempt to cover up the content you have posted, because you do not want to be personally associated with that content. Which is exactly what has happened here on OTN a few years ago.

The Internet does not mean there is no longer a thing called personal integrity and personal responsibility. Which is exactly what cowards think it means...

Look at what happened on twitter (Woman who campaigned for Jane Austen bank note receives Twitter death threats). People (men) who hide behind online anonymity and have a twisted and warped pack mentality. They too tried to cover their tracks (deleting tweets) and hide behind the "privacy" of a citizen. They belong in jail.. and encounter how r ape violates a person physically and mentally...

So no. I will keep on calling people like that cowards. Who think they are entitled to do whatever-the-f* they like on the Internet as they are not accountable, and privacy laws will protect them. Actually, I call them a lot more than that....

• 32. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    jgarry Guru

There should be three internets, one with strong non-repudiation of identity for commercial purposes, one with social acceptability settings, and the wild west for everything else.

• 33. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Dude! Guru

Actually it did not cross my mind that there are people who behave differently on the Internet than they do in real life or when anonymous. It's a matter of personality, I guess. How do you realize this without knowing the person on the other end?

Let say someone posts a message and keeps changing facts and circumstances to void arguments and responses. A similar situation, which actually happens more often, is when someone quotes text and uses arguments out of context, or disrupts a discussion by posting some complete BS.

I remember a few of such occasions, vaguely, and I think I either pointed this out or ignored the post, probably the later. It's annoying, but it's actually just a waste of time to bother. Addressing such issues will hardly teach the other person or anyone a lesson. It's more or less just a waste of time, and only useful to develop own communication skills.

I think the problem with information on the Internet is the quoting and extracting of information, especially in a forum like this one, where arguments or personal opinions are taken out of context, or perhaps misunderstood due to language or communication skills.

There is no one fits all answer and it depends on the circumstance and situation, but I would actually recommend to watch out and try to avoid unfortunate footprints. People tend to remember the bad things. With all due to respect, social competence and personal integrity, there is no good reason to harm yourself more than necessary for the sake of high moral or admirable personality in an online forum, which most likely will not transfer through the cable anyway.

• 34. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    jgarry Guru

Dude wrote:

Actually it did not cross my mind that there are people who behave differently on the Internet than they do in real life or when anonymous. It's a matter of personality, I guess. How do you realize this without knowing the person on the other end?

This is one of the most obvious things, that goes back to the earliest days of online communication.  It was already old hat by the time the general public discovered on the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

• 35. Re: The information you are looking for may have been moved, you can search for it here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Dude! Guru

I'm sure a lot has changed about the public perception of the Internet between the 90's and today. I think there is now a general awareness that no one on the Internet is really anonymous anymore. Some may use public VPN or web proxy to hide their IP, but even then, you can never be sure.

This and also the fact that the Internet has become omnipresent, I wonder how many people maintain a split real and online personality, beside the usual psychopath. Perhaps it's similar to the privacy perceived in a car. I often see people picking their noses behind the screen, and wonder if they do it at the work desk too - they do.

Btw, reading your previous reply, in case you don't know, there actually exists a separate Internet called Darknet or Deep Web, which was mentioned in a PCWorld article last month. It’s not a place most people visit - nor should they.

1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points