3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 10:15 AM by TSharma-Oracle RSS

Getting notifications for groups, based on administrator attributes

mtefft

We have multiple development teams who want to subscribe to notifications that are relevant to the targets that they use. We also have an operations team that cares only about notifications for production targets involved in batch jobs.

What is the approach for doing this?

We can create groups of targets (i.e. 1 group for each team. )

But we don't want to set up multiple copies of every notification rule, each tied to one of these target groups. What we would like is to have a notification rule that can connect the relevant targets to an attribute of each administrator. We can use Department or Line of Business, for example, on the target and on the administrator, if that would get us a solution.

I looked at the 'target privileges' for a user but I did not see anytihng specific to receiving notifications. (Most of our administrators have 'view' access to more targets than they would want notifications for.)

Is it possible to implement soemthing like this?

We are using Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12.1.0.2.0.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Getting notifications for groups, based on administrator attributes
          TSharma-Oracle

I think you don't need to set the multiple copies of the notification rules. You just need to create the groups or admin groups and then set INCIDENT rules based on those group and make it enterprise level. Any other user can subscribe that incident rule and alerts for those rules.

Setup->Incident-> Incident rules -> Action ->email->subscribe me or subscribe administrator.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/incident_mgmt.htm

• 2. Re: Getting notifications for groups, based on administrator attributes
            mtefft

Suppose I have Red, Blue, and Green development teams, plus the Operations team.

I recognize that one approach would be:

- Create a Red incident rule, which includes only targets of interest to the Red team

- Create a Blue incident rule, which is just like Red but includes only targets of interest to the Blue team

- Create a Green incident rule, which is just like Red or Blue but includes only targets of interest to the Green team

- Create an Operations incident rule, which is just like the above but includes only targets of interest to the Operations team

and tell the Red team to subscribe to the Red incident rule, etc.

I think this is what you are suggesting. But to do this, I have created (and must maintain) multiple rules which are clones of each other, except for the targets they apply to.

I would much rather have one incident rule, that everyone can subscribe to, but notifies each only for the targets that we have somehow associated to each administrator.

Is this something that can be done? Or is it wishful thinking?

• 3. Re: Getting notifications for groups, based on administrator attributes
              TSharma-Oracle

i think this is a wishful thinking at this point of time or I may not know of about how to do this. But IMO this is the right way to go because in this case you can mange all the incident rules differently. what if your Red team wants different conditions or escalation level on the rules than your blue team? id you have only one incident ruleset for all the targets,you cannot fulfill your needs.Also, its not difficult to do either.

You can also trained the users so they can set their own private rules and you don't need to worry then.