This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 5:41 AM by Paul M. RSS

Reports services 10g URL invocation in clustered environment

9eca6004-6f60-4a05-bdb3-e38bfcdff2cb Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Currently in DEV and QA Oracle Application Servers we are aware of the reporting server names and hence generating the report URL from our Java application and displaying the PDF in browser.

Currently the java application just does a browser redirect to the Oracle Report server URL below

For PROD however, there is a load balancer implemented and due to which, we will not know the linux report server name before hand. It can be picked up by any server and the URL will have to change accordingly. This will not enable us to create the PROD URL from our Java application before hand.

The URL currently constructed in the Java application for DEV Oracle Application Server is

http://servername:7770/reports/rwservlet?server=serverhd001&ORACLE_SHUTDOWN=YES&PARAMFORM=no&report=test.rdf&desformat=pdf&desname=test1.pdf&destype=cache&param1=4781148&OUTPUTIMAGEFORMAT=GIF&faces-redirect=true&dbcredentials

"dbcredentials" have been masked (userid= and password=)

For PROD, the "server=" parameter in the URL cannot be coded into the configuration file from our Java application as it may vary depending on which server picks it up during load balancing. The server which is processing the current request is determined by the environment variable in that server

Can you please let us know if we have any workaround for this ? IS there any way to pass the environment variable name in the URL so that it will automatically point to the server which has picket the request?

• 1. Re: Reports services 10g URL invocation in clustered environment
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

The server which is processing the current request is determined by the environment variable in that server

Looks like you're using "server" for both the Application server and the Reports server...

If so, then what's the problem ? Maybe I don't clearly understand it, but can't your application generate the URL once started, and identified the Application server ?

• 2. Re: Reports services 10g URL invocation in clustered environment
    9eca6004-6f60-4a05-bdb3-e38bfcdff2cb Newbie

My java application resides in a different server (weblogic) from the Oracle Application server (which has the report server). I do a browser redirect from my java application to a URL of OAS . I have hard coded Oracle Application server and report server name in one of my config files in my java weblogic server

In the above URL, servername:7770 is the Oracle Application Server. I would not have a problem with this since this will be the name of the cluster.

But the problem is server=<report server> . The report server which will pickup my request will be identified only after the browser has redirected to the URL. SO I cannot hard code it in my ajava application.

Can I just remove server=<report server name> when generating URL from my java application when I need to run report server in a clustered load balancing environment?

Sorry if my earlier post was confusing

• 3. Re: Reports services 10g URL invocation in clustered environment
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Can I just remove server=<report server name> when generating URL from my java application when I need to run report server in a clustered load balancing environment?

Probably yes, it should use the in-process Reports server, instead of the standalone one.

But... couldn't you try it yourself ?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points