This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2013 6:17 AM by sybrand_b RSS

Database needs to be restarted

SamikAcharya Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

when two or more clients trying to insert data even into different tables, database will not work and needs to be restarted... what could be solution... i am using Oracle 10G  Enterprise Edition (10.2.0.1.0)  on Red Hat Linux 32bits OS...

• 1. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    sb92075 Guru

SamikAcharya wrote:

when two or more clients trying to insert data even into different tables, database will not work and needs to be restarted... what could be solution... i am using Oracle 10G  Enterprise Edition (10.2.0.1.0)  on Red Hat Linux 32bits OS...

how can we reproduce what you report?

• 2. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    Alvaro Pro

My car doesn't work, tell me how to make my car go.

We need way more information than that to provide anything useful

• 3. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    SamikAcharya Newbie

when two or more clients trying to insert data even into different tables, database will not work and needs to be restarted... ... i am using Oracle 10G  Enterprise Edition (10.2.0.1.0)  on Red Hat Linux 32bits OS...

actually i've no clear idea about this restart problem what would be the possible way to track the error. i noticed some exception in my java application when accessing database at that time .

• 4. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

SamikAcharya wrote:

when two or more clients trying to insert data even into different tables, database will not work and needs to be restarted... ... i am using Oracle 10G  Enterprise Edition (10.2.0.1.0)  on Red Hat Linux 32bits OS...

actually i've no clear idea about this restart problem what would be the possible way to track the error. i noticed some exception in my java application when accessing database at that time .

Show is that what you have described is indeed happening. What do you mean by "database will not work"? Does database stops, gets hung, what actually is happening? If the users are trying to enter in different tables, what you have said can't be happening and if it is happening, you are not able to troubleshoot the real cause of the issue. Check your Java code, most likely its an issue created by that java app only. As Sb says, database is the victim here, not the culprit!

Aman....

• 5. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    SamikAcharya Newbie

database will not work means it gets hung. the prob is not in the code

b'coz it will work fine at the time of insertion from single machine. this

prob arises at the time of  insertion from different machines (e.g.- Node 5

inserting data to table1 and node 7 inserting data into  table3)

• 6. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

SamikAcharya wrote:

database will not work means it gets hung. the prob is not in the code

b'coz it will work fine at the time of insertion from single machine. this

prob arises at the time of  insertion from different machines (e.g.- Node 5

inserting data to table1 and node 7 inserting data into  table3)

We haven't seen your code so we can't say that the code is free from the issues with certainty. There is no mechanism in oracle database AFAIK which would make the database hung up if inserts would happen from different machines. As I said already, you are not looking at the right reason for the issue and I am almost certain, there is something wrong done in the code.

How about you leave the app aside, do the same inserts from using just the plain sql*plus from different machines? Show us the cut/paste of the output as well.

Aman....

• 7. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    chris_c Journeyer

I have always been astonished at how oracle have managed to keep selling a very expensive database that only allows one process at a time to perform an inserts and has persuaded a number of independent bloggers and consultants to cover up this glaring performance and scalability problem.

Seriously though I suspect somewhere in the application is a homemade locking mechanism that is serializing access to tables, I would suggest running an sql trace  on including the wait events to figure out what the application is doing.

• 8. Re: Database needs to be restarted
    sybrand_b Guru

It is a very long time ago such absolute nonsense was posted in this forum.

As you didn't provide any documents supporting this assertion I'm quite sure this is NOT a database problem and you need to investigate the 'application'.

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA