This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 6:53 AM by user12075536123 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    user12075536123 Pro
    Currently Being Moderated

you must back up archived log files by rman, and you must delete the archive log files.

# sqlplus
    select * from v$recovery_file_dest;

# rman
    backup archivelog all format 'backup piese path' delete all input;

# sqlplus
    select * from v$recovery_file_dest;

• 16. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    BasuD Newbie

It worked.... I'm able to connect to Oracle Database now...

Thanks for your quick response...

I understood that backed up files are stored in FRA and earlier it got filled. Now Its been set to use upto 5GB space. But after some time at some point it will again get filled.

Please suggest how the files from FRA can be maintained on a regular manner in order to prevent such incidents in future.

Thanks in advance.!

• 17. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    BasuD Newbie

I've inserted only few rows into tables inside the database. But the FRA folder occupies 3.35GB of space.

I'm not getting what is taking that much space. Please suggest.

Thanks.!

• 18. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    user12075536123 Pro

How about testing the following?

# rman
    delete archivelog until time 'sysdate-1';

this command delete archivelog without archivelog backup.

• 19. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    BasuD Newbie

I did that ... thanks...but can you please tell me what Xactly that command does... so that I can change it as per my need. Thanks.!

• 20. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    sb92075 Guru

BasuD wrote:

I did that ... thanks...but can you please tell me what Xactly that command does... so that I can change it as per my need. Thanks.!

unwilling or incapable to Read The Fine Manual yourself?

Contents

• 21. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    user12075536123 Pro

I have some questions.

Q1
    What is the problem now ?

Q2
    Is that a database for learning purpose only ?

Q3
    Is it necessary to back up this database ?

Q4
    Is it necessary to be an archive log mode ?

Q5
    Is it necessary to use FRA area ?

• 22. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    BasuD Newbie

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Oracle Database. I'm trying to learn and explore Oracle Database gradually.

So, I hardly can answer to your questions that what is required and what is not.

I've just followed few blind steps to install Oracle Database. I didn't have configured it explicitly.

Q1. Now I'm able to connect to DB. I've increased space for FRA as I was suggested. but after some time that space will also be filled. My question was how can it be maintained so that I need not to face the problem.

Q2. Yeah, Its solely for self-learning purpose. I will also need to run Oracle GoldenGate on the database.

Q3. Current Database version is 11.2.0.1.0. I'm getting problem in running GoldenGate as below-

2013-10-13 09:55:01  ERROR   OGG-00868  This version of Oracle does not supportthe DBLOGREADER option.

So, thought of upgrading database. For that I'll require to take a backup of my current database. Its my thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Q4. I'm also not sure whether I need to be in archivelog mode or not.

Q5. I thought FRA is used for backing up database and archiving logs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• 23. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    jgarry Guru

FRA can be used for those purposes, and it does simplify administration for simple sites.  It has a feature of removing files when there is "space pressure."  Fast Recovery Area space utilization

In general, you want to run databases in archivelog mode, because it allows you to recover transactions.  Many people say it as "in production," which is true as far as it goes, as long as you remember that even developers are in production.  The only time you want to run noarchivelog is if you have some other means of recovering.  It is a pretty classic mistake for people to think they can use logical backups (exports) for that.  Exports are nice for certain user errors, but not to depend on for backups.

So the general idea is, you configure backups to run, and everything maintains itself, so you can recover in the face of many possible mishaps.  For a real installation, someone needs to decide how far to go with this in terms of what you need to be able to recover from, anything from a blown chip in the computer to massive asteroid attacks on the Earth.  For learning purposes, you just need to backup often enough to clean up the archived logs for whatever you are doing.

It might be worth your while to get one of the third party backup books about RMAN, it can be a broad and complicated subject, and it can help to have some cookbook to get you started.

• 24. Re: Issue running Orace DB
    user12075536123 Pro

> Q1. Now I'm able to connect to DB. I've increased space for FRA as I was suggested.
    > but after some time that space will also be filled.
    > My question was how can it be maintained so that I need not to face the problem.

please try the following

# 1 check FRA area
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    select * from v$recovery_file_dest; --(1)
    exit

# 2 make directory for backup file
    mkdir x:\backup ←←← please change

# 3 backup by rman
    rman target / nocatalog
    CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; ←←← for learning purpose
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 'x:\backup\%F';
    CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
    CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET;

backup database format 'x:\backup\%U.bak';
    backup archivelog all format 'x:\backup\%U.arc' delete all input; ←←← backup and delete

delete noprompt obsolete;
    exit

# 4 check FRA area
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    select * from v$recovery_file_dest; --(2)
    exit

please compare (1) and (2)
    you should run # 3 every day

=====

> Q4. I'm also not sure whether I need to be in archivelog mode or not.

If that is a database for learning purpose only, noarchivelog mode is also ok.
    Becase it is not neccessary to recover the corrupted database.

If it is neccessary to recover the corrupted database, archivelog mode is better.

=====

> Q5. I thought FRA is used for backing up database and archiving logs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

please check
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmconfb.htm#CHDIBECI

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points