9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2013 7:42 AM by Mark D Powell RSS

Client and database software installed on the same machine

$phinx19

Hi All,

DB:11.2.0.3

We have a database server where in which the database software of 64 bit is installed and now the app team has requested me to install the 32 bit client software on the same server due to there application limitations. I have done the same, but now when I am trying to connect to the DB from the same machine but through the client I am getting tns error (cannot resolve name ). I have done the TNS entries in both the client tns file and the database tns file still it in not helping the cause. WhaT am I missing here?

Kindly suggest!

Regards,

Sphinx

• 1. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
          sybrand_b

You are putting a riddle, not realizing your webcam is off, and we are not looking over your shoulder, forcing this forum to ask you extra questions.

You don't describe what you EXACTLY did and you don't post any error messages.

So your nick is becoming more and more really appropriate as you force this forum to read your mind.

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 2. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
            $phinx19

Ok, My bad!

Here are the exact errors that I am facing:

C:\Users\Appadmin>path

PATH=D:\oraclient\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\Users\Appadmin>tnsping dpsecure

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-SEP-2013 17:48:07

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

D:\oraclient\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

C:\Users\Appadmin>

C:\Users\Appadmin>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Sep 30 17:49:10 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: system@dpsecure

Enter password:

ERROR:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when I change the path to my oracle home of database and not the client, I am able to connect to the database, which makes sense.

D:\>cd D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin

D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Mon Sep 30 17:50:17 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL>

So, I need to know, why I am unable to connect to the database from the client home path.

Hope I am EXACT this time

Regards,

Sphinx

• 3. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
              Mark D Powell

Windows?  Windows is not the OS name!  Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, these are OS names.  If you want correct responses you need to post accurate information.

Where does the application run?  If it runs remote then it is on the remote server where you need the 32 bit Oracle client and not on the database server.

What error did the application receive that is being used as the basis for the requirement that you need a 32 bit cleint?

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 4. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                sybrand_b

I  was guessing this was going on,.

You belong to the type of user which never uses any online resources prior to posting an issue, forcing people to post the same old solution to a FAQ again.

1 You have two tnsnames.ora files on your server in both homes

2 the server home file is correct

3 you know need to set the TNS_ADMIN env variable or registry string value in hkey\local_machine\software\oracle

All of this is documented.

Can you explain please why you like to dump your work in a forum of volunteers and have them answer your  FAQ again?

-------------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 5. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl also confirm that you installed the 32-bit and 64-bit software using different ORACLE_BASE directories - Oracle® Database

• 6. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                    Nicolas.Gasparotto

MarkDPowell wrote:

Windows?  Windows is not the OS name!  Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, these are OS names.  If you want correct responses you need to post accurate information.

As well as Edition to be even more accurate. I always remember the nice Hans' post entry :

http://hansforbrich.blogspot.nl/2008/03/im-volunteer-not-dentist.html

Nicolas.

• 7. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                      EdStevens

$phinx19 wrote:

Ok, My bad!

Here are the exact errors that I am facing:

C:\Users\Appadmin>path

PATH=D:\oraclient\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\Users\Appadmin>tnsping dpsecure

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-SEP-2013 17:48:07

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

C:\Users\Appadmin>

C:\Users\Appadmin>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Sep 30 17:49:10 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:

ERROR:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when I change the path to my oracle home of database and not the client, I am able to connect to the database, which makes sense.

D:\>cd D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin

D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Mon Sep 30 17:50:17 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL>

So, I need to know, why I am unable to connect to the database from the client home path.

Hope I am EXACT this time

Regards,

Sphinx

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/ (ora-12154 TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified)

• 8. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                        Hemant K Chitale

Verify and/or post the contents of :

D:\oraclient\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

Also verify that you have SET ORACLE_HOME (and PATH) and have not set TNS_ADMIN to point to some other location (TNS_ADMIN, normally, does not need to be set but can be used when you have multiple ORACLE_HOMEs but want to use a common TNSNAMES.ORA file across all the ORACLE_HOMEs)

Hemant K Chitale

• 9. Re: Client and database software installed on the same machine
                          Mark D Powell

Sphinx19, the ORA-12154 usually means the tnsnames.ora entry is incorrect.  What does the tnsnames.ora entry look like?  A missing or incorrect domain name when service name is used can result in this error.  The contents of the sqlnet.ora file would also be helpful.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --