10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 2:42 AM by BluShadow RSS

ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified

user8093006

How do I fix this ? I've looked at the Oracle "Help" (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28278/net12150.htm#sthref3337) and it's useless, as expected

• 1. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
          sb92075

ORA-12154 ALWAYS only occurs on SQL Client & no SQL*Net packets ever leave client system

ORA-12154 [B]NEVER[/B] involves the listener, the database itself or anything on the DB Server.

ORA-12154 occurs when client requests a connection to some DB server system using some connection string.

TNS-03505 is thrown by tnsping & is same error as ORA-12154 thrown by sqlplus or others.

The lookup operation fails because the name provided can [B]NOT[/B] be resolved to any remote DB.

The analogous operation would be when you wanted to call somebody, but could not find their name in any phonebook.

The most frequent cause for the ORA-12154  error is when the connection alias can not be found in tnsnames.ora.

The lookup operation of the alias can be impacted by the contents of the sqlnet.ora file; specifically DOMAIN entry.

TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE: ORA-12154 & TNS-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name [ID 114085.1]

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/

• 2. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
            sybrand_b

and it's useless, as expected

Incorrect. It is quite useful for those who are willing to read it and follow it up.

Also this is one of the most asked questions in this forum and the very fact you are asking it again tells you didn't use online resources and decided to post it again, to add the current clutter.

-------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 3. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
              EdStevens

user8093006 wrote:

How do I fix this ? I've looked at the Oracle "Help" (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28278/net12150.htm#sthref3337) and it's useless, as expected

Probably the most-asked question on this forum.

read: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/ ora-12154tns-03505

• 4. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                user8093006

. . .that in itself says a lot about Orable.

• 5. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                  sb92075

user8093006 wrote:

it says more about the lazy sloths who refuse to Read The Fine Manuals & just start pointing & clicking without any clue.

• 6. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                    user8093006

True . There are those among us who rejoice in wading through the impenetrable jungle of "documentation" inflicted upon us by Orable. But then again, some of us have lives to get on with , and projects to deliver. . .  

• 7. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                      sybrand_b

And try to do it by refusing to do what they were hired for: their work, and trying to increase their income by dumping as much of it as possible in a forum of volunteers behaving like babies or in your case like arrogant twits.

If you don't want to use online resources and even using Google is too much for you, I recommend you get on with your life, resign and start collecting garbage.

At the very least: stop abusing this forum.

------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 8. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                        user8093006

Why would I want to collect garbage , when I can rely upon you to supply it for me ?

• 9. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                          sb92075

did you ever get the error fixed?

• 10. Re: ORA-12154: Could not resolve the connect specifier identified
                            BluShadow

user8093006 wrote:

Actually, the documentation has stated quite clearly the actions that need to be taken to look into the issue and resolve it.

True . There are those among us who rejoice in wading through the impenetrable jungle of "documentation" inflicted upon us by Orable. But then again, some of us have lives to get on with , and projects to deliver. . .

It seems that you are not helping yourself to get your job done.

For starters, yes we can agree there is a lot of Oracle documentation, but Oracle is a vast suite of products providing a very powerful and enterprise related technology.  Of course nobody can be expected to read and digest all of the documentation, but it is split down into specific areas, such as those for Database Administration (itself split up into things like installation, backups etc.) or for Developers (itself split up into PL/SQL, SQL, Application Express etc.) and so on.  The Search facility on the documentation is usually very good at finding the right thing, though like any product, you have to know what you're searching for, so it's certainly not a problem of Oracle that things can sometimes be hard to find.  For example, unless people already know, then they are going to have a hard time finding something like the WITH clause in SQL statements ("with" is not a good search term), unless they know that it's actually called "subquery factoring" in Oracle... but then it would be just as hard to find it in the Microsoft SQL Server documentation unless you knew that they call it "common table expressions" or "CTE".

Secondly, you're constant posts (this thread and others) where you keep on being derogatory about Oracle by calling it 'Orable' and saying it's 'useless' etc. is not going to win you any favours with the volunteers who give their time on these forums to help people, as you can already see.  We all have jobs to do, and if you're really seeking help for a problem, it's best to put that issue forward in the best way possible and show what you've done and where you're stuck, and humble in admitting you're still learning the product, rather than just slating it because you don't understand it.  Much of the Oracle database technology, in terms of software developement, is based around the PL and SQL languages.  SQL is a based on the standards of SQL that most database vendoes use, whether it's Oracle, MS SQL Server, Ingres or others.  PL is based on the ADA language which has been around since I was a child (many moons ago), and is prodedural in nature, and uses many of the constructs you would find in many procedural languages.. though of course the exact syntax is going to vary slightly from other products.  The more techno aspects of Oracle such as installation and configuration of databases, or setting up backups, are specialized areas, just as they tend to be in other RDBMS', and nobody is going to pick those things up easily unless they've got a good understanding of the underlying concepts and architecture of the database, which we often learn by either reading a lot of stuff and trying it, or by attending courses (which is often quicker).

At the end of the day, if you really dislike Oracle that much, or any product for that matter, then you're in the wrong job.  You certainly shouldn't expect to pick up any major product quickly without training or if you don't feel you have the aptitude for that type of thing.

In future, as a bit of friendly advice, I'd recommend you stick to the facts and stop referring to the products in a derogatory way..., certainly if you really want to get help from people.