2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2013 7:18 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

OMF and RMAN "FORMAT" option

user130038 Pro
Currently Being Moderated

Hi there

In my current env, I have:

db_recovery_file_dest = '/ora_backup'

log_archive_dest_1='location=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST'

When I backup the database (say orcl) using RMAN, Oracle automatically creates following folder hierarchy and maintains it automatically (OMF in action I believe):

1. /ora_backup/ORCL/archivelog
  2. /ora_backup/ORCL/autobackup
  3. /ora_backup/ORCL/backupset

And under each of these folders, Oracle automatically creates a new folder for each date the backup is taken (2013_09_29,  2013_09_30,  2013_10_01, etc).

Now because of db_recovery_file_dest = '/ora_backup', archivelog files are also going to this location which I do not want. I would like the Archivelog files to keep going to "+FRA".

I am thinking of two options.

One:

log_archive_dest_1='+FRA'

But If I do this, I loose one advantage -  Oracle will not report/account-for space used by archivelogs via "v$recovery_file_dest" view.

Two:

I recently learned that "FORMAT" can be used to override the "db_recovery_file_dest" value and tell RMAN to store backups somewhere else.

I wonder if I can use FORMAT and still take advantage of the OMF and tell RMAN to continue creating sub-directories as needed for each date under each of the above mentioned three directories.

I tried following FORMAT option and RMAN stored all backup pieces in the same directory without creating the sub-directories for each date:

FORMAT '/ora_backup/level0%d_%t_%U'

Is there a syntax-element (like %d, %t, etc) that can tell RMAN to continue using OMF (to create sub-sirectories)? I know I am providing the files names.

Is there a better option?

I am not sure if I have been able to describe my question correctly.

Best regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points