7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 12:00 PM by nychawk RSS

How To "Freeze" Replication (not "delete" Replication Agreements)

nychawk

Hello;

I am currently using ODSEE Version 11.1.1.7.0 on Solaris/Sparc with four servers, each running as "masters" in an MMR setup.

My servers are broken up into two pairs, with one pair per site, and two sites.  For simplicity, I will call these servers M1, M2, M3 and M4.  M1 and M2 are located at site A, and M3 and M4 located at site B.

I would like to temporarily disable replication agreements between M1 to M3 and M4, as well as M2 to M3 and M4.

Likewise, I would like to temporarily disable replication agreements between M3 and M1 and M2, and M4 to M1 and M2.

This would effectively create two pairs, each pair independent from the other pair, but still allowing to modify data, and replicate to each other (within the pair sets only).

I've tried to "disable" replication agreements (via the DSCC), but that was catastrophic, this action actually deleted all of my agreements, causing me to redo my MMR setup from scratch; quite painful, I still feel it today.

I have looked at the possible actions you can take on a master, they are limited to "frozen", or "read-only". 

Frozen essentially makes that server incapable of doing anything, answering requests for data, or updates to data; not good. 

Read-only is close to what I want, but I still want to be able to make changes to my data, and read-only will not allow this. 

All of my clients are configured to use all four masters, preferably the two closest to them (via IP address).   My goal is to make host/IP changes on one side, but retaining the original data on the other side.

At some point, I would like to re-enable my replication agreements, thus allowing all changes to sync; unless of course I can somehow manually delete those requests altogether?

1.  Is this possible via the DSCC?  (I do not see where or how this is done).

2.  Is this possible via command line?  (my preferred method).

3.  What is the command (via the command-line) to switch server from read-only to read/write, and vice versa?

Thanks all in advance!