This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 12:09 AM by Girish Sharma RSS

Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA

vk82 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Guru's,

I have a query related to career as  Oracle DBA, may be this question seems to be a supid question to all of you gurus and sorry for asking such question but for curiosity i want to know. If a person have previous experience in Oracle DBA on production and after that he spends 2 years working as Oracle DBA Cooperate Trainer and learn more deeply Oracle DBA Stuff inculding high end technologies and troubleshooting , whether companies are ready to accept that person to work as Oracle DBA in there company or not or they will not consider the working period as a cooperate trainer. In simple terms can a person came back in oracle dba career path from oracle cooperate trainer profile.

What all you suggest  about the same.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

vk82 wrote:

Hi Guru's,

I have a query related to career as  Oracle DBA, may be this question seems to be a supid question to all of you gurus and sorry for asking such question but for curiosity i want to know. If a person have previous experience in Oracle DBA on production and after that he spends 2 years working as Oracle DBA Cooperate Trainer and learn more deeply Oracle DBA Stuff inculding high end technologies and troubleshooting , whether companies are ready to accept that person to work as Oracle DBA in there company or not or they will not consider the working period as a cooperate trainer. In simple terms can a person came back in oracle dba career path from oracle cooperate trainer profile.

What all you suggest  about the same.

Thanks in advance.

Don't you think that whatever you would hear over here, either positive or negative about your question won't matter, at all since this decision i.e. to hire or reject you, would depend on the company?

As an answer, I don't see any issues since as per you, you already have worked as a DBA , took break and still did Oracle database related work and now coming back to the DBA world. If I would be the person looking for a DBA , I would consider you(depending on how you have performed in the interview, of course) . But that's my perspective and the company you are applying may have a different one as well.

Good luck!

Aman....

• 2. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    Rajat Newbie

Since you are working in the same domain i don't think it will be problematic for you to bag a good job.

But keep in mind that your relevant experience will be 2 years not 4 years.

That point you have to negotiate with your employer.

Regards

Rajat

• 3. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    jgarry Guru

You have a leg up.  You've spent years training people on this, so you should ace any interview. 

Assuming your "training" wasn't just standing up and reading from a script someone else wrote.

• 4. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    andrewmy Journeyer

Assuming you know your stuff technically, I consider the ability to mentor, train and advice as a great positive for a DBA.

• 5. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    vk82 Explorer

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your feedback can you elaborate little bit more so that confusion is cleared exactly. I know that what you and others seniors mentioned is a positive sign but want to know a clear path which need to be follow.

Thanks u very nuch for your feedback and also to other guru's which gave there valuable suggestion over the same.

• 6. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    andrewmy Journeyer

What are you confused about, exactly?

While it is arguable whether your years doing Oracle training can be considered "years of Oracle experience", you can certainly cite it as such. Whether the interviewer accepts it as such is beyond your control so why worry about it?  Going over the basics of Oracle for a couple of years is certainly (to me) more relevant Oracle experience than a "DBA" who spent x years just checking the backup logs and calling a vendor for support whenever anything more challenging is encountered.

CVs can be full of bullcrap and the more interviews I do, it seems the less I have come to trust the "years of experience" listed in the CV. If you have the OCA or OCP (for HR to shortlist your application) and a solid understanding of how Oracle works and you can answer the interview questions with confidence why would you not be hired? I would certainly be more impressed by candidates who can answer questions intelligently as opposed to somebody with lots of years and impressive tasks listed in his CV but when questioned, shows little understanding of even the basics.

• 7. Re: Oracle Cooperate Trainer Career as Oracle DBA
    Girish Sharma Guru

> If a person have previous experience in Oracle DBA on production and after that he spends 2 years working as Oracle DBA Cooperate Trainer..

The question is WHY that person changed his/her track ?  If those reasons are still alive and suites to the person, then I think Trainer track is good for the person and bad for the company.

Regards

Girish Sharma

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points