1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 5:48 AM by BluShadow RSS

why is my discussion locked ?

Sami A.

I got a msg from Rubkat saying "it would have been polite to mention that i posted in other forums"  .. i dont think I was doing anything wrong by posting in other forums to look for an answer .

If one needs help quick isn't it normal to goto to many sources ?

I respectfully disagree with his action . I would like to hear feed back from other members maybe i am totally wrong .

• 1. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
          Sami A.

I read the complete terms of use and no where it says your discussion will be locked if you post in other forums. please unlock my discussion .

respectfully

• 2. Re: why is my discussion locked ?

You never bothered to mention all the other web site posts.

That is where you erred.

The polite thing to do is to ALWAYS mention the other places, so that people don't spend there time and mental effort to post something that you have already been told.    Those that respond to forum posts do so as a courtesy to you.   It is hoped that you have courtesy back at them.

• 3. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
              Sami A.

you  locked my other discussion also saying I didnt inform i posted on other threads ..   where as I did so iam assuming you didnt see it ?  I have underlined and made the line bold .. i said I cross posted it on unix forums.

are you working for oracle ? I will talk to oracle about thet language you use thats not a language suitable in tech forum where we are all adults and educated.

please unlock my discussion immediately .

I am following forum rules and I respect those who help me here .

i know all four ethernet ports on T2000 are gigabit ports so why is my first link showing as 100Mbps and how can i correct it?

# dladm show-dev

e1000g0         link: up        speed: 100   Mbps       duplex: full

e1000g1         link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full

e1000g2         link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: half

e1000g3         link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: half

p.s: cross posted on unix forums

thanks

• 4. Re: why is my discussion locked ?

Your reference to the cross-post was buried among your text in

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2594568

and not obvious.

Thread has been unlocked.

• 5. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                  Catch-22

Sure, you can check as many website as you wish to look for an answer, but nobody wants to be treated as second choice. It's probably a matter of trust and respect towards a user community. Or perhaps simply put, if you request assistance and think some other user community can provide you with a better deal than OTN, go there and don't bother to ask here.

• 6. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                    Sami A.

hi Dude !

I come here cause I think the people here are very qualified but sometimes if I am in need of a quick answer i look for answers else where also which i think is normal and has nothing to do with respect .

I am in teaching business also and I dont tell my students to only follow my notes or my books i encourage them to look for many sources for what ever they are trying to learn.  I am more interested in them learning then to make it a personal issue for me that they should only come to me for answers.

futhermore dont you agree that lanuage used in any conversation should remain professional ?

it makes me very uneasy knowing someone is spying on me and finding out my web usage , i will talk to oracle if its even legal.

I will once again reitterate that this forum holds some of the best people in industry and I have learned a lot from here since many years and i intend to keep learning from this forum for many more years.

best regards

• 7. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                      EdStevens

Dude        ! wrote:

Sure, you can check as many website as you wish to look for an answer, but nobody wants to be treated as second choice. It's probably a matter of trust and respect towards a user community. Or perhaps simply put, if you request assistance and think some other user community can provide you with a better deal than OTN, go there and don't bother to ask here.

Just to offer a counter-opinion ...

I see nothing inherently wrong or insulting with posting a question to multiple-sites.  A person should be aware that multiple sites dealing with the same subject (say, OTN and OraFAQ) will have a lot of overlap of participants, and it would be an extra courtesy to mention the multiple posts.  I don't see this the same as posting the same message in multiple areas of a given site (say, "Database -General" and "SQL-PL/SQL"

I agree with locking a thread if it is cross-posted within OTN., but I think locking it for cross-posting to an entirely different site (with or without mentioning it) to be a little harsh.  I can see that an argument could be made that, precisely because multiple sites have a big overlap of participants, cross-posting to multiple sites is little different that cross-posting within a site.  But in the end, I think moderators should only consider what goes on within this site.

Anyway, that's my two drachma's worth.

• 8. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                        Sami A.

Ed you are totally right !

even though i wrote in my posting that i have posted this on unix forum ,Rubak went ahead and attacked my character even knowing that it was his fault not to notice my mentioning of the cross posting .

I do not think this gentlmen is suited for this position and i have informed oracle about this incident.

• 9. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                          EdStevens

SamiA. wrote:

Ed you are totally right !

even though i wrote in my posting that i have posted this on unix forum ,Rubak went ahead and attacked my character even knowing that it was his fault not to notice my mentioning of the cross posting .

I do not think this gentlmen is suited for this position and i have informed oracle about this incident.

In Rukbat's defense, I'd advise that before you start lobbing hand-grenades and "reporting" people you simply participate in the technical forums and get a better feel for the community standards and who's who.  Some of the most helpful people here can seem pretty off-putting at first.  But if you hang around and learn the personality and quirks (just like you do with real people at your workplace) you might learn a bit about things other than why you can't log on to your database.

• 10. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                            jgarry

How did you miss the part about this being run by volunteers?  I agree with Ed that cross-site posting shouldn't be grounds for locking threads here, and also agree with his point about learning the quirks of local posters.  I also have thought rukbat is overly harsh at times, but the more I see of his posts, the more I respect the guy.  There's always going to be some differing points of view on moderation style - my personal desire is to see moderators as hands-off as possible - but screaming about reporting people over one misunderstanding can backfire too.  Always give people a face-saving way out - if they don't want to take it, it becomes their problem.

• 11. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                              Sami A.

hi Garry!

I am in agreement with you and Ed but I do not agree of character attacks on people in a professional forum , why I complained about Rubkat is him calling me 'not having manners'  and 'having lack of etiquite '   , i am sure you will not like it if someone tells it to you.

we need to deal with issues in a professional way is all iam saying.

The moderators here have a 'teacher' role and the basic rule in teaching is that you cant take things personally as every student you deal with in this case users like me ,will do things at times which you dont like , you just have to teach/advise them in a professional way.

regards

• 12. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                                jgarry

Oh, they've told me, you can believe it!

But different people have different ideas what professional is.  Online technical fora have traditionally been a bit harsh.  How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

• 13. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                                  Sami A.

haha ok you make me feel better

i will mark your answer as correct answer

• 14. Re: why is my discussion locked ?
                                    Catch-22

I can also see aspects regarding fairness. The reason for posting on multiple sites is obviously to maximize the result. However, what might be seen as economic on one end is not necessarily perceived as fair on the other.

Generally speaking - I have not looked into your specific case, a continued lack of providing necessary information when asking a question simply asks for harsh comments or questions being ignored. Instead of increasing the volume when broadcasting a question, it might be better to improve quality and respond to feedback.

The same questions posted on different places usually follow the same path of resolution. However, not every discussion receives the same level of attention by the original poster. The results are often orphaned posts or sudden solutions, because someone happens to find the missing information in the same discussion at another site. To my experience, posters who mark their question as urgent and post everywhere, are also quickly abandoning their posts once a solution has been found somewhere. This is were I think fairness comes into play. There is a another known form of communication with a similar pattern, it's called Spam.

I think this conflict is not only about posting on other sites, but also about protocol and behavior and forum history. What Rukbat asked for is to provide links and I see no big deal or reason to deliberately hide such important information. Unless you can explain your reasons, sorry, I think the action of Rukbat is reasonable and I see nothing inappropriate in communication style or demand, except your arrogant response:

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2594568

It might be a good idea trying to imagine how this was perceived on the other side.

P.S. I think forum moderators here are very busy and I can only imagine that it must require a lot of experience to be to clear and to the point under the workload. The result might be a harsh and short hand answer at times, but it is most likely nothing personal. And why should it?

1 2 3 Previous Next