This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2013 6:53 AM by RobB RSS

designing a lot of forms

newbi_egy Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

db 11gxe and apex 4.0 ,

hi all ,

i am developing a medical laboratory application , the problem is regarding the results of the patients' tests ,

there a lot of test types , each test has it is own form , and each page has it's own items ,

sure there are items in common between the pages, but the problem is the number of tests is about 200 test , and that requires 200 page .

what to do in order to reduce the work , sure i can not draw 200 form for each test ,

if you can guide me with a solution ?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: designing a lot of forms
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru

Whoa, Hold on there.. BEFORE you start building your forms, do you have a developed data model to support you requirements?  Is, as you said you need to track 200 or more tests, how do propose to store the results of all those tests?  That is what I would worry about BEFORE going and trying to create all those forms..

Where I am going here is, a test has one or more data elements to it, if you design your data model a test with 6 items and a test with 60 items should be handled the same, correct??

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 2. Re: designing a lot of forms
    newbi_egy Explorer

i do not need to store the data in the database , it is just text items for the doctor to write the results into it , but i do not need to save the data into tables .

• 3. Re: designing a lot of forms
    Fred-L Newbie

Considering your previous message, disregard my answer.

--------------------------------------------

Hi,

My first suggestion is to have a look on Apex limitations (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17556_01/doc/user.40/e15517/limits.htm), Apex has a limitation of "100 enterable items per page".

What is the maximum number of elements you may have in a page?

Also per "items in common" for you mean block/group of values like that:

CASE 1 (analysis is a "set" of values or group of value in common)

Test 1

- analysis 1 (value 1, 2, 3)

- analysis 2 (value 4, 5, 6)

- analysis 3 (value 7, 8, 9)

Test 2

- analysis 4 (value 10, 11, 12)

Test 3

- analysis 2 (value 4, 5, 6)

- analysis 5 (value 13, 14, 15)

- analysis 6 (value 16, 17, 18)

Test 4

- analysis 5 (value 13, 14, 15)

or

CASE 2

Test 1

- value 1

- value 2

- value 3

Test 2

- value 1

- value 5

Test 3

- value 2

- value 5

Test 4

- value 1

- value 3

- value 6

If it is the case 1: I would probably go with a big page with reports conditionally displayed based on the analysis type; each report will have a button to open a modal popup specific to each analysis. That means you will have one page per analysis (or group of value in common) loaded inside the modal popup and when the modal is closed the parent report is refreshed.

If it is case 2 and if you're sure to not go over Apex limitation you can conditionally display fields based on Test type.

If it is case 2 and you have too much values: you can split the form in 2 or more pages and conditionally display items you need.

For all cases, I would suggest you to store the structure inside the database and to not hardcode it in Apex, this will be very useful in the future if you have to add / change or remove a test!

I hope this will give you some guidance.

• 4. Re: designing a lot of forms
    fac586 Guru

newbi_egy wrote:

i do not need to store the data in the database , it is just text items for the doctor to write the results into it , but i do not need to save the data into tables .

So why use APEX and Oracle at all? What are the actual requirements for handling the results?

• 5. Re: designing a lot of forms
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru

Sounds like the carpenter who finds a hammer and everything he sees is a nail..I would HIGHLY question the application they are developing..  If you are going to have someone clicking/checking all these items, what exactly is happening to that data then??

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 6. Re: designing a lot of forms
    newbi_egy Explorer

>> What is the maximum number of elements you may have in a page?

may be 10 .

>> Also per "items in common"

suppose that there is a test named "complete blood test" , it should has these items "Red blood cells number" and "white blood cells number" .

and another test named "basic blood test" , it will have the item "Red blood cells number" in common with the above test and another item named "Hemoglobin" for instance .

i think it's clear now .

>> So why use APEX and Oracle at all? What are the actual requirements for handling the results?

i use it for the rest of the application i am building .

>> what exactly is happening to that data then??

it will be printed , then the patient should get it .

• 7. Re: designing a lot of forms
    RobB Newbie

Surely, You are still storing the data to be able to then print it out, or is info such as a patients red blood cell count not useful to store. How does Apex help compared to something like simple Word templates which could be filled in the same way??

regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points