2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 1:55 PM by TexasApexDeveloper

Exception handling Pl Packages and APEX Exception Handler

TexasApexDeveloper

APEX 4.2

Oracle 11g Database

We are using the standard exception handler that was introduced in APEX 4.1, and we have code in packages & procedures in the database (following proper processes of keeping code in the database where possible).  When an exception is found in the procedures/packages/functions, should the APEX application level exception handler catch any errors that occur or should they be handled in the package/procedure/function they occurred in?

Why I ask if, we right now have exception handling code in the pl/code bodies BUT they write their errors to the same table that Apex's Exception handler does, but the errors are NOT presented to the user using the APEX exception handling mechanism..

Thank You,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 1. Re: Exception handling Pl Packages and APEX Exception Handler
          jariola

Hi,

I assume your problem is that APEX engine makes rollback on error.

You need log errors with an autonomous transaction.

Regards,

Jari

• 2. Re: Exception handling Pl Packages and APEX Exception Handler
            TexasApexDeveloper

Jari,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, I didn't get a message from the forum software there was a reply... (New and Improved, indeed)..

In regards to your answer, no.. My concerns is this...

I have an APEX application using the new error handling capability.  In this application I have a package or a procedure of PL/SQL code...  In my application I am calling this procedure and encounter an ORA error of lets say too many rows returned from a select into statement.. DOes the error handler in place with APEX catch this error and deal with it properly, or should I handle the error in the procedure and somehow propagate it to the APEX front-end?

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software