3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 5:00 AM by Jim Smith RSS

[4.0 EA2] Debugger not stopping at breakpoints/not working at all

JamesMenzies

When running the debugger in SQL Developer either the debugger immediately connects then disconnects after executing the code WITHOUT stopping at breakpoints or the debugger hangs and the only actions I can choose is to terminate or to pause.

The first issue happens a lot more frequently. I am attempting to debug a procedure in a package where the there are several breakpoints throughout the code including at the very start. After checking my tables in which the procedure acts upon before and after running the debugger I can see that the data has been altered so the debugger has ran through the procedure and executed the code without stopping. I have checked this on very simple code where the breakpoint code has been called and have experienced the same result.

Im using 64bit Win7 -

JDK - 1.7.0 update 40

Output:

LOAD TIME : 329UsersCache.fillIn() time = 4  ret==null?: true

UsersCache.fillIn() time = 3  ret==null?: true

tableAlias.cardinality()==0

UsersCache.fillIn() time = 4  ret==null?: true

UsersCache.fillIn() time = 3  ret==null?: true

UsersCache.fillIn() time = 4  ret==null?: true

Debugger Output:

Connecting to the database Layout Pro.

Executing PL/SQL: ALTER SESSION SET PLSQL_DEBUG=TRUE

Executing PL/SQL: CALL DBMS_DEBUG_JDWP.CONNECT_TCP( '*****', '*****' )

Debugger accepted connection from database on port *****.

Executing PL/SQL: CALL DBMS_DEBUG_JDWP.DISCONNECT()

Process exited.

Disconnecting from the database Layout Pro.

Debugger disconnected from database.

Thanks in advance,

James

• 1. Re: [4.0 EA2] Debugger not stopping at breakpoints/not working at all
          Jim Smith

A couple of basic questions.

Have you compiled for debug?
          Are the breakpoints definitely on code lines? There have been problems in the past where the line numbers are off by one so what looks like code is actually a blank line, or a declaration.  Try multiple breakpoints on consecutive lines to be sure.

You can also set the preference Tools|  Preferences|Debugger|Start Debugging Option to 'Step Into'.  That should stop at the first executable line.

• 2. Re: [4.0 EA2] Debugger not stopping at breakpoints/not working at all
            JamesMenzies

Hi

Have you compiled for debug? - Yes

Are the breakpoints definitely on code lines?- There are several lines of code which have up to 5 consecutive breakpoints

You can also set the preference Tools|  Preferences|Debugger|Start Debugging Option to 'Step Into'.  That should stop at the first executable line. - This worked thank you, I can now access the debugger and test my work.

On swapping the preferences back to 'Run Until a Breakpoint Occurs' (which it was originally set as) the debugger now correctly stops a the breakpoints. I didn't make any changes to the code/debugger parameters or anything so I'm rather confused to why its suddenly started working .

But anyway thank you for the help,

James

• 3. Re: [4.0 EA2] Debugger not stopping at breakpoints/not working at all
              Jim Smith

On swapping the preferences back to 'Run Until a Breakpoint Occurs' (which it was originally set as) the debugger now correctly stops a the breakpoints. I didn't make any changes to the code/debugger parameters or anything so I'm rather confused to why its suddenly started working .

Ah - switch it off and back on again. Always works.