6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 2:39 PM by Stefan Wagner

SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7

Stefan Wagner

Dear all,

while the Oracle SQL Developer 3.2.2 includes the JDK1.6.0_35 the SQL Developer 4.0 Early Adopter 2 requires JDK 7 or above.

Actually it seems to cause a lot of trouble to our IT department to include a JDK 7 to business department windows client PCs. Do you guys from Oracle intend to provide us users like in history with a Oracle SQL Developer version including JDK (would be highly appreciated) or will there be a change?

Without local admin rights it's impossilbe to install a JDK 7.

Regards,

Stefan Wagner

• 1. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Yes, the 4.0 downloads will include a Windows WITH JDK option for 64 BIT installs. That will include JDK 1.7.

If your IT dept needs help figuring out how to install multiple versions of Java without breaking their apps, ask them to open an SR or post over on the Java forums, it's pretty straightforward.

• 2. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
            Stefan Wagner

Thanks a lot Jeff. This is deftly good news.

I hope you will not skip a 32 BIT release. We have to change to 64 BIT windows, but i don't trust that this will happen before 2014.

Yep, it would be easy to role out JDK 7 but IT people only want business people to have JRE and not JDK... I cannot criticize this as i do not know any JDK / JRE differences / details.

• 3. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

We will only be distributing the embedded Java version for Windows as 64 bit.

There will still be a 32bit version you can run for Windows, you'll just need to provide your own 32 bit JDK.

>>Yep, it would be easy to role out JDK 7 but IT people only want business people to have JRE and not JDK
              Good news! Just tell them your tool requires the Server JRE

Java SE Downloads

This is all we require for SQL Developer.

• 4. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
                Stefan Wagner

I got that Jeff.

Remaining problem is, that Server JRE runs only in 64 bit environment and for that is doesn't make any difference, i would need a solution for a 32 bit environment. JDK seems to need lokal windows pc admin rights that i do not have, so i cannot install it on my own.

I'll try to convince one of the IT guys if they can install a JDK 7 on my local pc; if not i fear i have to wait for a new pc with the 64 bit environment.

• 5. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Didn't realize the server JRE was only avail in 64 bit for Windows.

Yeah, at some point you'll need to get the Java 7 JDK installed. Unless you want to install it at home, put it on a USB and copy it to your machine in your SQLDev folder...but really, the IT folks need to make sure their users are being properly served.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: SQLDev 4 EA2 and JDK7
                    Stefan Wagner

Jeff, i solved it due to JDK7 installation. So happy some IT guys i know personally did help and support me.

It does not solve the problem itself, but my personal one at least. You are right, in general IT departments should support business needs better, but it's a long story in a big enterprise.

Anyways, SQL Developer 4 EA2 is running now and looks good on first sight. I had to reenter one connection that i exported from 3.22 but that might not be a bug. It's working now. I noticed improvements on Query Builder left outer joins in graphic mode already. Right now it's better than x-mas.

Congrats to you all, you do a great job!!!!!!!