This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 6:19 AM by EdStevens Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.

ChrissiK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Srini, can you explain what you mean by 'the server software install includes the client software'.  I'm not seeing the same file names between client and database??  I need to install both on the same machine for use with ArcSDE from ESRI because the SDE software uses the client to connect to the database.  ArcSDE doesn't work with Database only, but when I install the client in a different folder my SQL*Plus stops working with the above tns protocols adapter error.  From what I can tell it has to do with the PATH environmental variable (on Windows Server 2008 R2), when I have one or the other path (client or database) the one or the other program works, but when both are in there only the one that comes first will work.

I've tried installing the client in the same oracle home but then nothing worked.  Any thoughts?

Christina

• 1. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

On Unix / Linux, when I install an Oracle client on the same host as the server software, I use a *different* login id.  For example, the server install is called "oracle" (default) in the "dba" group but the client install is as "oracli" in the "others" group.  The two different login IDs have different .profile / .bash_profile with completely different ORACLE_HOME, PATH etc configured.

I am sure believe that this should be possible in Windows.

Hemant K Chitale

• 2. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

I'm not seeing the same file names between client and database??

Can you pl elaborate what files you are looking for and why ?

ArcSDE doesn't work with Database only, ...

Pl provide error messages/codes

I've tried installing the client in the same oracle home but then nothing worked.  Any thoughts?

Again, pl detail what "nothing worked" means - pl provide error codes/messages.

I did a quick search for ArcSDE and found this - ArcGIS Server for the Java Platform 9.3 Help

There is a NOTE section in red - if this is applicable, then the answer above by Hemant (install the client in a separate account) would be a solution

HTH
    Srini

• 3. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    EdStevens Guru

ChrissiK wrote:

Srini, can you explain what you mean by 'the server software install includes the client software'. 

I would have thought that pretty clear in itself, but lets try this. 

Suppose you install the database, so you get these directories:

c:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\db_1

c:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\db_1\(all the files for the db)

c:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\db_1\(all the files for the client)

Then you make a separate installation of just the client.  So you get this:

c:\oracle\app\product\11.2.0\client_1\(all the files for the client)

I'm not seeing the same file names between client and database?? 

What are you looking for?  What are you expecting?

I need to install both on the same machine for use with ArcSDE from ESRI because the SDE software uses the client to connect to the database. 

Again, if you installed the database, you have installed the client.

ArcSDE doesn't work with Database only,

"Doesn't work" is devoid of any actionable information.

but when I install the client in a different folder my SQL*Plus stops working with the above tns protocols adapter error. 

We'd have to see how you actually tried to invoke sqlplus and what the working environment was at the time.  Typically I see this on Windows machines due to an incorrectly set ORACLE_SID value.

From what I can tell it has to do with the PATH environmental variable (on Windows Server 2008 R2), when I have one or the other path (client or database) the one or the other program works, but when both are in there only the one that comes first will work.

well, that's Computing 101.  When you enter the name of an executable (like "sqlplus") the OS has to find that executable.  The mechanism for doing that is to search, in turn, each directory listed in the PATH.  When it gets a hit, it goes with it.  It does not say to itself, 'hmm, the user wants to run sqlplus, I found sqlplus here, but no, I think the user wanted some other sqlplus, so I'll keep looking"

Ready, fire, AIM.

You should have started by working the first error .... the "ArcSDE doesn't work".  By "work the error" I mean read the actual error message.  Think about exactly what it is saying.  Google it.  Bring it to the appropriate forum for help and analysis.  

When you got the "ArcSDE doesn't work", what line of troublshooting lead you to believe that you needed to install a separate Oracle client, or worse, lead you to believe you needed to make a client installation into the same directory as your rdbms installation?

BTW, looking back over the thread, I see you actually hijacked a thread started by bb7dd165-6479-4554-b593-4650b2a221f1  (who needs to change his screen name).  It's always better to start your own thread for your own specific problem.

• 4. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Thanks Ed - did not notice this was a hijack - I have branched this off into a new thread

Branched from this thread - I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.

• 5. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    EdStevens Guru

Srini_Chavali wrote:

Thanks Ed - did not notice this was a hijack - I have branched this off into a new thread

I hadn't either, at first.  Didn't pick up on it until I was about to include a boilerplate comment about changing the system generated username, and an alarm went off in my head that something didn't look right .. 

• 6. Re: I wanted to install Oracle database and client on same system.
    EdStevens Guru

ChrissiK wrote:

Srini, can you explain what you mean by 'the server software install includes the client software'.  I'm not seeing the same file names between client and database??  I need to install both on the same machine for use with ArcSDE from ESRI because the SDE software uses the client to connect to the database.  ArcSDE doesn't work with Database only, but when I install the client in a different folder my SQL*Plus stops working with the above tns protocols adapter error.  From what I can tell it has to do with the PATH environmental variable (on Windows Server 2008 R2), when I have one or the other path (client or database) the one or the other program works, but when both are in there only the one that comes first will work.

Christina

One thing I just thought about that may indicate the need for a separate client installation.  The "word size" (32-bit vs 64-bit) does not have to be the same between the oracle client and the oracle database, but it DOES have to match between the oracle client and the application that calls the client.  So, if you installed a 64-bit rdbms, but your application (running on the same server) is a 32-bit app, then yes you would need a separate installation (into a different ORACLE_HOME) of the 32-bit oracle client.  But then, I'd seriously question putting the app on the same server as the db in the first place.

As a side comment, what really amazes me is that people are still deploying 32-bit software at any level.  How long has it been since the last 32-bit CPU rolled off the line?  How many millions of 64-bit PC's have 32-bit Windows installed on them?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points