2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 3:05 PM by fac586

Comments Bubbles as discussion

Test2

Hello All,

I use APEX 4.2.3 . Oracle 11.2.0.3. using Theme 26

I am required to use  ( Comments Bubbles  Template ) to create a discussion report.

Where any User can add a new "Opinion / Comment" and users can add replies to that "Opinion / Comment".

Any ideas about how to do this in APEX ??

Also regarding the DB, do I need only one table to store all comments or Two tables, one to store the new comments  and another one to store the replies ??

Regards,

• 1. Re: Comments Bubbles as discussion
          Hari_639

Hi,

If you want to display discussion as Nested (the way they display here in forum), i think it's not easy.

However one way I think is, to make use of "Trees" in APEX and displaying each of node of tree as "Text-area". And other way is, to do coding PL/SQL to emit required HTML using UI and LI tags.

In either way, you just need one table with following structure.

MESSAGE_ID - Primary Key for this table

COMMENT - VARCHAR field to store comments

PARENT_MESSAGE_ID - Refers to MESSAGE_ID

DISCUSSION_ID - Foriegn key to Discussion table. This can be used to group all messages by "Discussion"

Regards,

Hari

• 2. Re: Comments Bubbles as discussion
            fac586

849d380e-58ef-4cec-87a4-f35a7973f2a2 wrote:

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "849d380e-58ef-4cec-87a4-f35a7973f2a2".

I use APEX 4.2.3 . Oracle 11.2.0.3. using Theme 26

I am required to use  ( Comments Bubbles  Template ) to create a discussion report.

Where any User can add a new "Opinion / Comment" and users can add replies to that "Opinion / Comment".

Any ideas about how to do this in APEX ??

Since that's a report template, a standard report would be the obvious option. The Updates region on page 50 (Customer) of the Customer Tracker sample application is an example of a report that uses the Comment Bubbles template.

Alternatively, to show a threaded discussion using nested lists, you could create a list template using the mark-up from the Comment Bubbles report template, and use a dynamic list based on a hierarchical query to provide the required levels of nesting.

Also regarding the DB, do I need only one table to store all comments or Two tables, one to store the new comments  and another one to store the replies ??

One table. In addition to the comment text and user details, it needs to include some kind of topic identifier, a timestamp for ordering, and a self-referential FK to link replies to the comments they're responding to.

Note that HTML is notoriously deficient at semantically marking-up dialogues and conversations. See the Conversations section of the HTML specification to help you decide on an appropriate structure for your discussions.