7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2013 5:15 PM by BillW RSS

Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3

BillW

Hopefully I can ask this question clearly.

I upgraded my OEM installation from 12cR1 to 12cR3 and have also successfully upgraded most of the agents. My question -

The Agent Upgrade console shows a couple of agents which are not upgradable because the latest agent software is missing. They are Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) and the agent version is 12.1.0.1. The remedy is to go to the Self Update Screen. When I get there under Agent Software I see that the Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) is there with a status of applied. I believe I must download the 12.1.0.3 agent, is that correct?

When I choose the Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) the download button is greyed out so I do not have the option of downloading it. Must I first remove it in order to download the 12.1.0.3 agent? If I must do that is there anything I must be wary of or are there ramifications?

Thank you.

Bill Wagman

• 1. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
          BrianPa

Hi Bill,

I have no idea why the download button would be greyed out, but I do know from experience that when you download updated agent software you do not need to do anything with the old software first -- that is, having the 12.1.0.1 agent sitting there in "Applied" status is normal and correct and shouldn't be causing you problems.

Is there any chance your software library is full?  That's the only reason I can think of that the download button would be unavailable.

One thing to try might be to toggle OEM to offline mode for MOS, then return to self update and see if the download button is available.  If it is, it should give you a link you can use to download the software manually along with instructions on how to import it to OEM using emcli.  If that doesn't work, toggle back to MOS online mode and check the download button again.

-Brian

• 2. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
            mnazim-Oracle

The oms platform was solaris sparc that upgraded to 12cR3, so automatically same platform "Solaris Sparc" agent image also has been upgraded to 12cR3(12.1.0.3)

and  this is an expected behavior and thats why you were able to upgrade some agent which were healthy.

Are  leftover Solaris Sparc agent  up and healty which you want to upgrade to 12cR3 ?

Is there any metric error on those agent,  can you please check this?

• 3. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
              BillW

First, Brian, how do I tell if the OMS library is full? Also, OEM is offline for MOS support, would you suggest trying to toggle it online again?

Mnazim, the OMS server is not Solaris, it is linux.

All my linux agents have been upgraded successfully, it is Solaris and WIndows agents for which I don't have the correct software, IE, 12.1.0.3.0. I am having difficulty downloading that. The linux 12.1.0.3.0 agents show as being there when I look at the software library. Perhaps I don't understand the steps for downloading the most recent agents. Can either of you point me to the explicit documentation for that? I have looked at chapter 5 in the upgrade guide and one MOS note but perhaps I am misunderstanding the steps.

Thank you.

Bill Wagman

• 4. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
                mnazim-Oracle

Please follow the steps as given in section "Acquiring Management Agent Software in Online Mode"

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e22624/install_agent.htm#CHDEAGIF

-Thanks

• 5. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
                  BrianPa

Hi Bill,

I would follow the steps in the link mnazim gave you, hopefully those will work.  The offline steps should also succeed. If you want to check on your software library, go to the Setup menu, then Provisioning and Patching, then Software Library, and the table displayed on-screen will show how much space is available total for the software library and how much space is free.

• 6. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
                    BillW

Thanks to both of you. I am away until Monday and will try then and report back if I have difficulties. Thank you both.

Bill Wagman

• 7. Re: Question re upgrading agents to 12cR3
                      BillW

Thanks again to both of you. I figured it all out and have successfully applied the 12.1.0.3.0 agents on the systems in question. Thank you.

Bill Wagman