7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2013 5:33 AM by Simo Kemppinen RSS

srvctl utility

Hi All,

I have two node RAC which has 3 oracle 11g databases on AIX 7.1 box. I can see the srvctl executable in both oracle_home and grid_home.  i can able to  check status, services of database from both home...

1. y do we have srvctl executables in both grid and oracle home?

2. whether srvctl is the only utility will be in both home or any other utility will be in both home along with srvctl?

Any clarification would be helpful.

Pradeep. V

• 1. Re: srvctl utility
          Simo Kemppinen

Yes there are several same executables in both homes.

And for linux you can check them for example this way (this will sort you files that will be in both directories + files that are only one of the directories):

diff -q <GRID_HOME/bin> <ORACLE_HOME/bin> | sort

In AIX there seems to be 'dircmp' to do the diff .

• 2. Re: srvctl utility

Hi Thanks for the reply.

For AIX box the diff command is little different. but i am able to get list of all file which is common in both folders.

And im still wondering why Oracle kept these executables like srvctl in both grid and oracle home and whats the need for it?

Anyone shower some light on it.

Pradeep. V

• 3. Re: srvctl utility

I think You should check this Ref Doc :http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e41960/srvctladmin.htm

Overview of SRVCTL

Use SRVCTL to manage configuration information. You can use SRVCTL commands to add, remove, start, stop, modify, enable, and disable a number of entities, such as databases, instances, listeners, SCAN listeners, services, grid naming service (GNS), and Oracle ASM.

Some SRVCTL operations modify the configuration data stored in the Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR). SRVCTL performs other operations, such as starting and stopping instances, by sending requests to the Oracle Clusterware process (CRSD), which then starts or stops the Oracle Clusterware resources.

To manage Oracle ASM on Oracle Database 11g release 2 (11.2) installations, use the SRVCTL binary in the Oracle Grid Infrastructure home for a cluster (Grid home). If you have Oracle RAC or Oracle Database installed, then you cannot use the SRVCTL binary in the database home to manage Oracle ASM.

• 4. Re: srvctl utility

Hi DK2010,

Instead we can have only one srvctl in grid_home to manage asm right? Im just curious y and whats is the exact need of srvctl in oracle_home also?

Thank you

• 5. Re: srvctl utility

Do one thing , just type

$servctl -h

You will get the no. of usage of that command , you run some from Grid_home some from oracle_home

• 6. Re: srvctl utility

Hi ,

All srvctl -h in all home, returns same value.

My concern is srvctl in grid_home is enough to do RAC admin activities. I dont know why oracle is creating srvctl utility in database home (oracle_home) during RAC database software installation...

i still couldn't get clear explanation for my question :-(

• 7. Re: srvctl utility
                      Simo Kemppinen

Hi, I think that Oracle wants to give users possibility to create different admin roles.

For example database admin can be different person with different privileges than system admin (or ASM admin).

With two different homes and binaries you can give different privileges for certain users:

Please read this:

To use SRVCTL to change your Oracle RAC database configuration, log in to the database as the owner of the home that you want to manage.

For example, if you installed Oracle Database and ASM in separate homes and each one has a different owner, then log in as the database user to manage databases and log in as the ASM user to manage ASM instances. Users who are members of the dba group can start and stop the database.

More Guidelines from here:

Server Control Utility Reference

Depending your own privileges you can do all from grid_home but it is up to you to decide what kind of privileges, groups and users you do.