Do you specifically need an express edition?
If you are not testing for the commercial purpose and its for your own learning, you can install personal edition for free I believe.
You may not:
- use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development of your application;
- use the application you develop with the programs for any internal data processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an appropriate license from us;
- continue to develop your application after you have used it for any internal data processing, commercial or production purpose without securing an appropriate license from us, or an Oracle reseller;
- remove or modify any program markings or any notice of our proprietary rights;
- make the programs available in any manner to any third party;
- use the programs to provide third party training;
- assign this agreement or give or transfer the programs or an interest in them to another individual or entity; - cause or permit reverse engineering (unless required by law for interoperability), disassembly or decompilation of the programs;
- disclose results of any program benchmark tests without our prior consent.
What is the exact OS version ? What does "does not work" mean ?
VM templates are available here - Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database; Single Instance & Oracle RAC, releases 12c Release 1 and 11g Release 2