2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 8:25 AM by Tushar Lapani RSS

unable to connect to linux server though tight VNC server

Tushar Lapani

I have configured VNC server 4.1 for my Linux Red hat server. VNC server is working on port 5903 and user "oracle" is allowed to connect (It means he is vncuser). while i try to connect to server using VNC it prompts to enter password. It means server is reachable. But When I enter correct password it returns Authentication Failed even though password is 100% . To confirm password I changed it using "vncpasswd" command and then I restart the vnc service by $ service vncserver start command. The service started successfully but couldn't access the server through VNC.

I checked in /etc/sysconfig/iptables and it contains entry as

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

So what anything else i m missing ? What should I do ?

Thanks & Regards

• 1. Re: unable to connect to linux server though tight VNC server

Please provide some basic information about your OS version, such as Red Hat 6.4 x86_64 for example, and where you are connecting from. To see if the Firewall configuration on your server is the problem, you can simply disable it temporarily using "service iptables stop". If this corrects your problem, then you know it's the Firewall on your server system. Alternatively you can also tunnel VNC through SSH, which port is usually open.

• 2. Re: unable to connect to linux server though tight VNC server
            Tushar Lapani

My remote server OS is Red Hat 5.2 . And I am trying to connect to my remote host server (Red hat 5.2 ) through VNC which is installed on my local system Windows XP. I usually use putty to get command base access of my remote server. I have also configured SSH tunnel in putty so that i can connect to VNC and get GUI access of my server.

What action will taken if i run command given by you. Do I have to reboot my server, if yes then it is not possible.

$     service iptables stop

I think there is no issue of firewall. Because it asks me to enter password .That means ping to server is reachable on port 5903.

My /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file contains following entry

VNCSERVERS = "3:oracle"

And one line for display resolution.