This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 6:56 AM by Javier Francisco Ruiz RSS

Does anyone know how to setup a service for a PDB?

JSebastian Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

When I create the PDB, I see that a service name with the same name as the PDB registers with the Listener but I don't see where to configure service names for the PDB.

The service names in the init.ora file appear to be for the underlying CDB.  Can a PDB have multiple service names or am I stuck with the name of the PDB as the service name?

• 1. Re: Does anyone know how to setup a service for a PDB?
    Javier Francisco Ruiz Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated

From Oracle documentation

Service Creation in a CDB

When you create a PDB, the database automatically creates and starts a service inside the CDB. The service has a property, shown in the DBA_SERVICES.PDB column, that identifies the PDB as the initial current container for the service. The service has the same name as the PDB. The PDB name must be a valid service name, and must be unique within the CDB. For example, in Figure 18–2 the PDB named hrpdb has a default service named hrpdb. The default service must not be dropped.

You can create additional services for each PDB. Each additional service denotes its PDB as the initial current container. In Figure 18–2, nondefault services exist for erppdb and hrpdb. Create, maintain, and drop additional services using the same techniques that you use in a non-CDB.

Note:

When two or more CDBs on the same computer system use the same listener, and two or more PDBs have the same service name in these CDBs, a connection that specifies this service name connects randomly to one of the PDBs with the service name. To avoid incorrect connections, ensure that all service names for PDBs are unique on the computer system, or configure a separate listener for each CDB on the computer system.

See Also:

■"Service Names" on page 16-11

■Oracle Database Administrator's Guide to learn how to manage services associated with PDBs

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points