5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 1:13 PM by mobra RSS

Thoth Gateway Compatibility

user8609567

We are attempting to install the "Thoth Gateway: PL/SQL Gateway Module for Microsoft IIS" using the instructions from http://code.google.com/p/thoth-gateway/.

We are running APEX 4.2, IIS 6 and Oracle 11g.  When we attempt to execute http://<server>/ThothGateway/pls/Default.aspx we receive the following error.  Is the Thoth Gateway compatible with our environment?  If it is compatible then how can we troubleshoot the problem?

Server Error in '/ThothGateway/pls' Application. 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]  PLSQLGatewayModule.DadConfiguration.getVal(String name, String defaultValue) +12  PLSQLGatewayModule.DadConfiguration.get_NLSLanguageString() +17  PLSQLGatewayModule.DadConfiguration..ctor(String dadName) +95  PLSQLGatewayModule.GatewayRequest.ParseRequest(String requestMethod, String thePath, String rawUrl, String soapAction) +232  PLSQLGatewayModule.GatewayRequest..ctor(String serverName, String requestMethod, String requestPath, String rawUrl, String soapAction) +203  PLSQLGatewayModule.PLSQLHttpModule.HandleRequest(Object o, EventArgs a) +554  System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68  System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75  
        • 1. Re: Thoth Gateway Compatibility
          mobra

Hi,

I'm Morten, developer of the Thoth Gateway. The gateway should run fine in your environment.

However, the URL you use to access it should be of the form http://servername/pls/dadname where "dadname" maps to a DAD (Database Access Descriptor) that you have defined in the web.config file (as explained in the installation docs).

When you try to access "/pls/default.aspx", the gateway looks for a DAD called "default.aspx", which does not exist and gives you the error.

Try with a valid DAD definition and let me know how it works out.

- Morten

<signature link removed by moderator >

• 2. Re: Thoth Gateway Compatibility
            user8609567

We have the Thoth Gateway installed but are getting the following error in the Event log.  Are you familiar with the error?

Event code: 3005
            Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
            Event time: 10/28/2013 9:45:50 AM
            Event time (UTC): 10/28/2013 2:45:50 PM
            Event ID: 6b5975b9cda84cad9e4d0935b80d14d2
            Event sequence: 2
            Event occurrence: 1
            Event detail code: 0

Application information:
                Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/232667915/Root/pls-1-130274451498533565
                Trust level: Full
                Application Virtual Path: /pls
                Application Path: D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\thoth\pls\
                Machine name: BTCFPRASP003P

Process information:
                Process ID: 392
                Process name: w3wp.exe
                Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
                Exception type: OracleException
                Exception message: The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client

Request information:
                Request URL: http://btcfprasp003p.bok.com/pls/apex/apex
                Request path: /pls/apex/apex
                User host address: 10.10.7.53
                User: 
                Is authenticated: False
                Authentication Type: 
                Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
                Thread ID: 1
                Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
                Is impersonating: False
                Stack trace:    at Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleInit.Initialize()
               at Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection..cctor()

Custom event details:

• 3. Re: Thoth Gateway Compatibility
              mobra

Hi,

the error message is "The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client ", and it is most likely caused by you having multiple, incompatible versions of the Oracle Client on the same machine.

See this thread for more info:

https://forums.oracle.com/message/10112565

And see this article about how to set up a separate set of client files just for your web application:

http://ora-00001.blogspot.com/2010/01/odpnet-minimal-non-intrusive-install.html

- Morten

<signature link removed by moderator -- it goes into the BIO section of your profile, not into your posts >

• 4. Re: Thoth Gateway Compatibility
                user8609567

Morten,

Thanks for your replay.  I have verified that I only have one version of the Oracle client installed (11.2.0.3.0).  I have verified the I have the correct version of ODP.net (2.111.6.20).  I have also tried the non-intrusive install.  I continue to receive the above error in the Event Viewer.  In addition, I am receiving the following error in the PLSQLGatewayModule.log.  I should mention that the LOGON_USER is correct.  It almost appears that the PLSQLGatewayModule.dll is not loading.  Is that possible?  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Reg

2013-10-31 08:52:58,804 [1] DEBUG PLSQLGatewayModule.PLSQLHttpModule Cookies: ORA_EPMWS_AccessibilityMode=false; ORA_EPMWS_ThemeSelection=BpmTadpole; LWSSO_COOKIE_KEY=4DU18_7zS7QND9mc4Qm8x5PT8gDfOtLmsjVjyzfQsUbtvKSHwCH4qCk-CeS-dykLhVUDc512wfHMfXCxQ2KS3AamIe33akHx1DRzaMohor5xBkUuL46sQMjwo7iIEBHDuh5jem4_TrnR2x8cN-Faz9BQIlZZ8K_1r3F6yKBTt0gItQjfhw-qWRFJa7FnEVXrMA4huh99RCynCMC7I8YDpA..

2013-10-31 08:52:58,804 [1] DEBUG PLSQLGatewayModule.PLSQLHttpModule Current Windows user name (LOGON_USER) = NTPROD\abc123

2013-10-31 08:52:58,820 [1] DEBUG PLSQLGatewayModule.PLSQLHttpModule Connecting with user apex_public_user to //btcfindbp011p.bok.com:1521/apexprod...

• 5. Re: Thoth Gateway Compatibility
                  mobra

Hi,

"I continue to receive the above error in the Event Viewer."

Then I suggest you do a reinstall of ODP.NET. First remove all traces of old installations by deleting the files, remove the appropriate Registry keys, and remove any references to the ODP.NET folders from the PATH environment variable. Do a search for "oci.dll" in all folders on the server to make sure you have got rid of all instances.

Then reboot the server, to make sure that DLLs already loaded are not kept by any processes such as IIS.

Finally, run the installation bat file included with ODP.NET to install it using default options.

"In addition, I am receiving the following error in the PLSQLGatewayModule.log."

I don't see any errors in the excerpt you provided, I just see some DEBUG statements... ?

"It almost appears that the PLSQLGatewayModule.dll is not loading. Is that possible?"

If it wasn't loading, then you would not see any lines in the gateway log file.

- Morten