6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 2:12 AM by Asif Muhammad RSS

R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports

rthampi

Hi guys

I am learning to do cloning myself and successfully done the same few times already. The one area which is still beyond my reach is how to clone both db & apps tiers against pre-determined ports. Ie, all my recent attempts where creating listener port at 1563 and forms servlet port at 8042

I prefer to use 1521 & 8001/8002 etc for forms. Is there a context setting which I can use prior the cloning done, so that I don't have to change the files manually and do autoconfig?

regards,

raj

• 1. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
          Asif Muhammad

Hi Raj,

The post clone script (adcfgclone.pl ) is created by the preclone script as you must be knowing. Therefore specific ports can be transferred to the target instance as long as you can answer the question as" USE THE SAME PORT AS SOURCE" by having those ports in the Source Instance when running the post clone script. But if it is not the case you will have to go with clone and then change the ports and consequently run the autoconfig. I am personally not aware of any predefined context file which can hep you achieve your objective.

Please see:

How To Preserve Customizations In adcfgclone.pl Script (Doc ID 828874.1)

Anyhow I have not tried the following but you may give a try, whether this achieves your objective.

- Run pre-clone script

- Transfer the backup

- Take a backup of the context file

- Change the desired port values on the context file

- Run post clone as:

perl adcfgclone.pl (appsTier/dbTier)  <LOCATION_target_xmlfile>

- Answer the post clone script as:

Do you want to preserve the Display set to sourcehost:0.0 (y/n) [y] ? Y

Let us know if it helps!

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 2. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

Rapid Clone doesn't support using different ports during the clone and you will have to select one port pool when running adcfgclone.pl script -- Troubleshooting RapidClone issues with Oracle Applications R12 (Doc ID 603104.1)

If you want to change any of the ports, then you can accomplish this later after the clone is done successfully by editing context file(s) and running AutoConfig.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 3. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
              rthampi

Thank You Asif!

I was changing the ports as Hussein has confirmed already. However, would love to experiment with your tips as well. Sick and bed stricken, will get back to work on Sunday and confirm whether your workaround solution works.

Regards,

raj

• 4. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
                rthampi

Thank you Hussein. I was doing the same what you have suggested until now.

Regards,

raj

• 5. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
                  rthampi

Hi Asif

I tried to establish what you have suggested. As I was cloning from a vision instance, which was deliberately altered into TEST, DEVELOPMENT & PRODUCTION scenarios, my backup has multiple context files and changing the ports prior cloning looks awful.

Instead I went ahead with normal cloning, answering N to preserve display and later changed the ports for both database and application and ran autoconfig. Yes, kind of tedious job, especially while working on a server with no gui (or my limited exposure to VIM editor)

regards,

raj

• 6. Re: R12 Cloning, pre-determined ports
                    Asif Muhammad

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the update..

Yes, I m well aware the standard method would be to clone and then alter ports and run autoconfig. And as i said earlier in my post I never did try out the steps but was just trying to work on the logic and see  if it would achieve your specifc object

Anyways thanks a lot again for your try out and confirmation brother

Thanks &

Best Regards,