5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 6:28 AM by nianzhang RSS

OBIEE 10G repository question

nianzhang

Hi, I am really new to OBIEE 10G. Recently I have asked couple of questions and got great answers, thanks. Now here is a new one.

I have branch, time, product, and sales tables in physical layer. branch, time and products are dimensions and have one to many relation ship to sales.

I have built the models and mapped the relationship (Business model diagram and physical diagram ). And built the presentation tables.

Now because sales are by branch, time (day) and product (product no),  what ever dimensions I drag into answers, the result will be y branch, time (day) and product (product no).

For example, if I drag branch, and sales, I want to see sales by branch, but instead I still see sales by branch, time (day) and product (product no).

I am not sure is there something I should do in the repository? Especially in the BMM. In the BMM I have sales as fact and branch, time, product as dimensions. I have not built Hierarchies because I am not sure what Hierarchy does.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: OBIEE 10G repository question
          nianzhang

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the link, but I am using 10G. And the tutorial is for Oracle databases but the physical layer in my case are SQL Server views connected through ODBC 3.5. I know this may not matter but just hope someone can give me a quick hint on what to do because we have very limited time as we need to provide a proof of concept to show business users what OBI can do, there are other alternatives they are going to see, like Qclick view, MS SSAS, Cognos. We have OBI for a long time but no one in our team really knows how to use it.

• 3. Re: OBIEE 10G repository question

Hi,

You must create hierarchy initially for the sales according to the period or product or branch.

Right click on the BMM layer Create Hierarchy ,

New-->Dimension give the name for the dimension hierarchy.

If you r going to create only for time or period click on time dimension otherwise leave as it is.

Right click on the created dimension name --> New Object--> Logical Level.

Give the name as Grand Total and click on "grant Total Level"

Again Create one more object. assign name as Branch according to your scenario.

Again create new object with the name of product,

Create one more new object with the name of time.

Drag and drop the Branch column to branch column to the branch object in dimension hierarchy.

do similar to product and time. Assign the chronological key.

http:\\mkashu.blogspot.com

Regards,

VG

• 4. Re: OBIEE 10G repository question
              Azhar

first create a dimension object

then add parent level object

then add child level object

specify level columns

create level keys

create LEVEL based measures

check each steps in details

• 5. Re: OBIEE 10G repository question
                nianzhang

Thanks for the reply. I finally found it's because I didn't set up Aggregation for the fact table columns. It's 'None' by default. I changed them to 'Sum' and problem solved. The hierarchy doesn't really matter since my case is very simple one and there is only one level under each dimension. But I will definitely need to build hierarchy and levels  for real things. Thanks.