This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 6:42 AM by ChrisJenkins RSS

Timesten implementation strategy

user10366531 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi  ,

I need to deploy timesten on testing evnvironment.

What is the best strategy to implement timesten. ? Client server should be deploy on same machine ?  or client and server on seperate machine.

Can anyone guide for best implementation strategy.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    ChrisJenkins Guru

The 'best' strategy depends on your requirements; there is no 'one size fits all'. For best efficiency and performance TimesTen should be deployed on the same machine as the application(s) that will be using it and the applications should connect via direct mode rather than client server. But, it all depends on your requirements and objectives. If you can give more details then we can give a better answer.

Chris

• 2. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    user10366531 Newbie

Thanks Chris.

Our application is running or oracle database.generally on production environment , we are installing oracle on one server and application on another. so i need an expert advice that if we are integrate our application on Timesten then what would be the best way to deploy.

• 3. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    ChrisJenkins Guru

It depends on your current architecture, whether you can accommodate any changes to that architecture, your performance targets and your availability targets.

As I said, in general you should install TimesTen in the application tier, i.e. on the same machine(s) as the applications, and have the applications connect in direct mode. But whether this is feasible depends on how you will be using Timesten, how the applications use the data that is in TimesTen, what kind of HA requirements you have etc. Without that information it is a bit like saying: 'I need to wrote a program, what is the best way to do it'. It is an impossible question to answer without a lot more detail.

Chris

• 4. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    user10366531 Newbie

i am still a bit confuse that if application and TImesten should b on same machine, then oracle and timesten would be on different . this is what i wanted to know that how can we deploy .

• 5. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    ChrisJenkins Guru

Yes, that is normal. Oracle DB lives on its own server in the database tier. TimesTen and the application live together on a different server in the application tier. All the performance critical communication is between the application and Timesten. Communication between TimesTen and Oracle DB is outside the query/transaction path and so is less critical. We do not recommend installing TimesTen on the same server as Oracle DB as that is usually a sub-optimal configuration.

Chris

• 6. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    user10366531 Newbie

ok agree. Means if if i am installing application and Timesten on same machine, then do I need to install timesten client on oracle machine ? 

Does timesten client required as part of  release ?

• 7. Re: Timesten implementation strategy
    ChrisJenkins Guru

No, there is nothing to install on the Oracle machine. I suggest before you get started you take some time to read the TimesTen documentation and the Installation Guide and Cache User's Guide in particular. And then follow the QuickStart tutorials that lead you through configuring cacheing etc.

Chris

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points