10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2013 10:48 AM by Aman.... RSS

help

Eblawe

hi

I am new to Oracle. I would like to become DBA.

So i don't know from where to start to reach DBA.

please help from your experiences where can i start and is there any strategy for that?

thanks.

• 1. Re: help
          Hemant K Chitale

Most DBAs start as Oracle Developers.  Some come from Server (e.g. Unix/Linux) administration.

It really depends on whether your organisation (your work) gives you the opportunities to pick up DBA skills.  For example, if you are a developer but have no DBA assigned to the database you are working you, you have to play the role of DBA and "learn on the job".

Get training at Oracle University, if you can.

Hemant K Chitale

• 2. Re: help
            EdStevens

Eblawe wrote:

hi

please help from your experiences where can i start and is there any strategy for that?

thanks.

And exactly how did you decide that you "would like to become DBA"?

Do you enjoy working long hours?

Do you enjoy walking a tight-rope without a net?

Do you enjoy being responsible for everything that goes wrong? (After all, architects never have bad designs, developers never write buggy or inefficient code, there is never anything wrong with the network or the disk systems, so no matter what goes wrong, it must be something the DBA can fix.)

I'd hate for you to spend your life climbing a ladder only to discover it was leaning against the wrong wall.

• 3. Re: help
              Eblawe

Thanks Hemant

Now I am student studying Master of Computer Science.

I decided to learn Database Administration so could you tell what is helpfull for me

• 4. Re: help
                Hoek

It would help to understand/realize and accept the fact that you'll need to think in terms of years (most certainly not a couple of weeks or months) and study, practise, read, participate, gain experience.

The Tom Kyte Blog: The keys to Oracle…

• 5. Re: help
                  Hoek

Sounds like being a block buster action movie star!

• 6. Re: help
                    jgarry

I read a book by director Kevin Smith, wherein he had a story about working with his idol, Bruce Willis.  Made Willis sound just like the worst dba from hell.  (Also online in MacWorld video)

• 7. Re: help
                      Catch_22

Why not rather become a dentist or lawyer? But if you enjoy being a DBA, by all means. It is important that you like what you do. To become a Oracle DBA I recommend proper training, like Oracle University. Perhaps you can become OCA and OCP, which will give you some self-confidence and good foundation. You can self-study some of the online information but you risk to misunderstand basic concepts that can make further advancing more difficult.

• 8. Re: help
                        Hemant K Chitale

You've also received advice from others.  The DBA job can be tough at the personal level because it can entail calls and "high-stress" work at off-hours.

You'd need to have a passion for the job.  You always need to keep learning the features and new features of every new release  (you'd not get time to be an expert on one release without starting working on the next release).

Hemant K Chitale

• 9. Re: help
                          Billy~Verreynne

Dentist gets my vote..

• 10. Re: help
                            Aman....

Eblawe wrote:

hi

thanks.

Well, install Oracle database , start reading the Oracle documentation's Administrator's guide and Concepts guide and keep on reading it till you finish your masters. If you still want to be a DBA only after some months of playing with the database, you would have found a way to be one. It's a very long learning process so "start to reach" probably won't help as even after getting a job of a DBA, there would never be a day without learning or re-learning.

Aman....