2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 11:21 AM by 0807d146-bdfd-47d8-a700-582ee6eea4dc

error: HY000: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

0807d146-bdfd-47d8-a700-582ee6eea4dc

Hi All,

I am getting below error logged in odbcping.err file created in my application

odbcping error:

--------------------

Error connecting to DB: -1

HY000: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified.

We have our own application installed on Windows machine with oracle as backend.

My oracle server is 11.02 which is also installed on another Windows machine and we are using oracle 11g client libs on Windows client.

When I try to backout patch on my application, we are 1st executing odbcping command to check whether oracle server is running or not.

In my case, odbcping command is logging above error and then I am not able to backout the patch.

But oracle server is running at the backend.

I got lot of information about this error and tried to following things to reproduce this issue again.

1. Current NLS_LANG on oracle server is : AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

Tried changing only character set to AL32UTF8 in the NLS_LANG.

So now NLS_LANG on server is updated to : AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8

Able to stop and start oracle service and restarted machine.

2. Updated NLS_LANG on oracle server as : JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS

Not able to login to SQL after updating the same. Get the above error  mentioned.

3. On client side, I tried changing the local Regional options , Language and restarted the machine.

I would like to how I can reproduce the issue to get the above error? What are other scenarios I should try?

I read somehwere that this issue is caused by language incompatibility between client language and database language.

Client language is different from database language, causing this issue.

How I can select differnt client and database language and check?

How I can mismatch the character sets supported by client and server so that I can see this error?

Need your help for the same.

Thanks,

aarati