7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 2:30 PM by marcusafs RSS

4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines

marcusafs

Is there a way to tell SDDM not to redraw automatically.  I get my diagram the way I want it and then accidentally bump an entity or table and all the lines get redrawn center to center.  An undo would be nice.

If there isn't a way I would like to add it as an enhancement request.

Marcus Bacon

• 1. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Hi Marcus,

each diagram has its own "Undo/Redo" and "Undo to/Redo to" queue and functionality is available in context menu for diagram - use 'right mouse click" on empty diagram space.

Relational model has global undo/redo queue also accessible through "Edit>undo/redo" functionality.

Philip

• 2. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
            marcusafs

Thanks.  That is good for the accidental bump but what if I need to stretch an entity/table?  Can I turn off auto redraw?

I know others have asked before but please allow us to turn off auto redraw and allow redraw of individual or group elements on demand.  Anyone else see this as a desirable feature?

Here is my situation.  I have a parent company entity and 12 child lookup entities which have relationships to a child entity, sort of like a fact table.  The company entity goes across the top and has 12 relationships to the lookup tables which are placed below the parent and are staggered just enough for the relationship line connection to show.  I have to move from 11 of the relationship lines from the center of the lookup entity to the left edge.  The company entity also has a relationship to the "fact" entity and each lookup has a relationship to the fact entity which is below the company entity and to the right of the lookup entities..  Now I have a new lookup entity to add but the company entity needs to be stretched just a little to accommodate the new lookup.  When I stretch the parent all 12 of the relationship lines to the lookup tables auto redraw to the center of those tables except for the one directly under the company table and I now have to move 12 relationship lines to be able to see the identity and nontransferable graphics.  Then I have to repeat the process for the relational model.  It should look something like this:  If the diagram isn't clear make sure it is in a fixed pitch font.

+----------------------------------+

|                                  |

+----------------------------------+

|    |    |       |            |

|    |    |       N            N

|    |    |  +--------+      +----+

|    |    |  |        |-----<|    |

|    |    N  +--------+      |    |

|    |  +--------+           |    |

|    |  |        |----------<|    |

|    N  +--------+           |    |

|  +--------+                |    |

|  |        |---------------<|    |

N  +--------+                |    |

+--------+                     |    |

|        |--------------------<|    |

+--------+                     +----+

• 3. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

please allow us to turn off auto redraw and allow redraw of individual or group elements on demand

If we don't do it it's not because we want you to go mad. We want to replace the whole redrawing but we also have restrictions.

You can get more stable behavior with lines if you introduce single elbow (single point and still having a straight line) - look at

second picture here http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2013/01/configuring-display-of-model-relationships-in-oracle-sql-developer-data-mod…

Philip

• 4. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
                marcusafs

As an alternative to turning off auto redraw it would be nice to be able to grab a relationship/FK line and move the whole line, not have to move each end and then get it strait.

• 5. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
                  Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

it would be nice to be able to grab a relationship/FK line and move the whole line

you can do it if you introduce that intermediate point.

Philip

• 6. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
                    marcusafs

So I try the undo capability but it doesn't work.  If I re-size the entity all the lines move.  I then Undo and the size goes back but all the lines stay in the wrong place.

• 7. Re: 4.0EA3 Redrawing of Relationship and FK Lines
                      marcusafs

That is very helpful.  I was drawing that character erd while you were replying and have been busy working since.   I just now saw the single elbow advice.  Now I can move the whole line.

YEA! 

Something else will drive me mad if you don't.  It is impossible to make everybody happy.  I had my complaints about the Designer drawing tools but had figured out many work arounds like the elbow trick.

Thanks.