This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 5:26 AM by 840105 RSS

We can not access to OEM.

teradata0802 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

We use oracle 11gr2 on win2008R2.

We have 4 DB instance in that DB.

I could start dbconsole service by emctl db console but I could not access by browser.

That DB server does not have IIS role.

OEM need IIS role to use from brower ?

• 1. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    mkeskin Explorer

Yes , you need it , install IIS into your server.

The following prerequisites must be met before you can deploy the plug-in:

• Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed.
    • The following components of Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control release 2 or higher are installed:
      • Oracle Management Services with Oracle Management Repository
      • Oracle Management Agent for WindowsYou can install the Agent on the same computer as Internet Information Services (referred to as local Agent monitoring), or you can install the Agent on a different computer from Internet Information Services (referred to as remote Agent monitoring).

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11857_01/install.111/e14543/piiis.htm

• 2. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    teradata0802 Explorer

Thank you.

Our member said they could log in in the past in that server.

I do not know why they could login though IIS is not installed.

IIS roles is automatically installed during dbconsole setup ?

• 3. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    EdStevens Guru

mkeskin wrote:

Yes , you need it , install IIS into your server.

The following prerequisites must be met before you can deploy the plug-in:

• Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed.
    • The following components of Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control release 2 or higher are installed:
      • Oracle Management Services with Oracle Management Repository
      • Oracle Management Agent for WindowsYou can install the Agent on the same computer as Internet Information Services (referred to as local Agent monitoring), or you can install the Agent on a different computer from Internet Information Services (referred to as remote Agent monitoring).

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11857_01/install.111/e14543/piiis.htm

I believe that is for the plug-in to allow GC to monitor IIS.  It has nothing to do with the basic GC function of monitorming databases.

From your cited document:

Oracle System Monitoring Plug-In for Microsoft Internet Information Services extends Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control (Grid Control) to add support for managing multiple instances of Microsoft Internet Information Services.

• 4. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    EdStevens Guru

teradata0802 wrote:

Thank you.

Our member said they could log in in the past in that server.

I do not know why they could login though IIS is not installed.

IIS roles is automatically installed during dbconsole setup ?

The advice about the IIS plug-in is a red-herring.  Did you see any error messages that indicated any relationship to IIS?

"could not log in" is not an error message that conveys any actionable information.  So far what you've said is no different than "yesterday my car would start.  Today is doesn't.  What is wrong with my car?"

• 5. Re: We can not access to OEM.

Thank you.

EM is used from brower , so I thought it uses IIS but it seems not be not using IIS.

I heard our members could login the OEM in the past.

I will search emca log in customer environment next time I have chance.

By the way,

Its DB has 4 instances, so how could I configure ORACLE_SID variable for multiple instances ?

• 6. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    sb92075 Guru

>so how could I configure ORACLE_SID variable for multiple instances ?

you can not do so.

you need different product (GRID) to access more than 1 DB.

• 7. Re: We can not access to OEM.
    EdStevens Guru

840105 wrote:

Thank you.

EM is used from brower , so I thought it uses IIS but it seems not be not using IIS.

Why did you think that?  IIS is nothing but a general web server product, and it runs only on Windows OS.

The browser (be it IE, Firefox, Chrome, whatever) doesn't know or care what is at the other end, as long as it is using the proper protocol to communicate.  How could it be dependent on IIS if the server was running *nix? (hint: IIS is an MS product and runs only on Windows.).  The server side could be running Apache.  It could be running an embedded application, as long as the protocols are correct.

I heard our members could login the OEM in the past.

All the more reason to throw out any 'solutions' that require you to install software that wasn't already installed.

I will search emca log in customer environment next time I have chance.

By the way,

Its DB has 4 instances, so how could I configure ORACLE_SID variable for multiple instances ?

You need to clarify your understanding and usage of the terminology.  If your "database" (collection of related data files) has 4 "instances", that means, by definition, that it is a RAC database.

I'll bet that what you really mean is that your have 4 single-instance databases running on one server ....

In any event, you don't set your ORACLE_SID for multiple instances.  You set it for the database/instance you wish to work with at the moment.  ORACLE_SID is an environment variable that contains a single value.  Just like you can only drive one car at a time (no matter how many cars you own), you can only work with one database at a time.  Set ORACLE_SID for the database you want to "drive".

An instance of dbcontrol can only be configured to work with/manage a single database, but each database can have its own instance of dbcontrol configured.  Each configuration of dbcontrol would be accessed at a different url, specificaly at a different port.  If you want to manage multiple databases under a single "pane of glass" -- a single browser tab/interface -- then you need to pony up for the license for Grid Control.

• 8. Re: We can not access to OEM.

Thank you.

Yes, we have Oracle 11g DB DEV enviroement server which has 4 single-instance.

Setting ORACLE_SID variable is necessary to use OEM ?

If so, we can only one instance of OEM by browser.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points